I realized I can still just google “Random Simpsons Quotes” and land on good quotes for posts like these. So I’m doing that now. But I stand by being irritated that my old source is gone, I still assume it’s because of Disney, and I still advocate fucking Mickey in the neck. Anyway, here’s a random post.
- Some things fell my way financially since my last post. I won’t get specific, but I feel like I can breathe again. Some other stuff’s still wrong, but I’m trying to count my blessings. (One. One blessing. *Thunder* Ah-ha-ha!)
- I’ve been enjoying the Olympics this week. As many of you know I’m generally anti-sports, but I do love the Olympics. (I follow Team USA’s Twitter feed year-round.) I guess every 2-4 years is how often I’m able to care about sports. Damn shame about what’s going on with Simone Biles, but she’s unquestionably doing the right thing. And as much of an inspiration as she could be by winning a bunch of medals, she’s an even BIGGER example and inspiration for everybody (but especially young people) to do the right thing for your health. She went from being a hero in the sport to being a hero to everybody. Bless her.
- I’ve been slowly working my way through the movies of Wes Anderson. I hadn’t seen any, but had bought a copy of Grand Budapest Hotel on BluRay as soon as it hit the Criterion Collection last year on the recommendation of a good friend. Finally watched it, loved it, and got hungry for more. So far I’ve watched that one, Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums, The Darjeeling Limited, and Moonrise Kingdom. My favorite right now is still Grand Budapest Hotel, but I think Moonrise Kingdom might be a close second. I’m a little surprised by that because I don’t really like Bruce Willis…which…don’t get me wrong, he’s VERY good at being Bruce Willis. But he tends to make movies that aren’t my cup of tea and I don’t think I’d have a lot to say to him in a bar… But that was a good movie, with Willis used sparingly. And it was fun and funny, as is most of Anderson’s stuff. I’ve been enjoying this journey. There are 4 more to go, not counting the one he just debuted at Cannes last week. I’m saving The Life Aquatic for last…because I’m told that has a lot of Bowie songs in it and I bet I’m going to love that.
- I was very sad to hear that Dusty Hill died. I’ve never been the biggest ZZ Top fan, but I always appreciated him as a bass player. He was just ROCK SOLID as a player and seemed like a really good guy. I got to see ZZ Top for the first time in 2019, and they put on a good show despite a bad sound mix. As a bar-band veteran myself, I’ve probably played 99% of their hits to sloppy drunks over the years. I carry a lot of good memories of playing those songs. I’m (mostly) sure I haven’t played my last one.
- One of the benefits of having my new car is something that is in some ways also a detriment. For the past several years I’ve been driving a V6 engine, but the new car is a 4-cylinder. That means it’s a little (lot) more sluggish. Imagine that you go to a coworker and say, “Hey could you help me with something?” If your coworker jumps right up and says, “Sure!” that’s a V6. But if they say, “Yeah, just let me finish what I’m working on first and I’ll be glad to help out…” That’s a 4 Cylinder. You’ll get the filing cabinet moved, sure…but it’ll be a minute. There are some times I feel like I don’t have enough car underneath me in the new vehicle… But… It means I also can’t drive as much like a dick anymore. I’ve got to let some shit go on the highway and know I can’t outrun the other assholes. In many ways that’s a good thing… That’s what I’m telling myself…
- I go through phases of which guitar I play the most and which one is my “favorite.” Right now I’ve been beating the hell out of my American Telecaster and writing new stuff. Teles are great guitars. If I had it to do again, 10 of my 30 would be Teles. (But as it is, I’m very happy with the ones I’ve got…despite how nice that Isbell signature guitar looks…)
And I don’t know…I’m sleepy and have a lot of stuff to do tomorrow and this weekend. So I’m going to stop there for now. Just wanted to get something a little less bleak on the blog.
- Descendents – 9th & Walnut
- The Kinks…just in general…