I feel like I should apologize for it being February 4 and I’ve not written since before Christmas! Time has been passing in a whirlwind for me lately. I’ve got a couple of longer posts in mind but since it’s been a while, let’s put a Simpsons quote in the title and do a random post just to catch up a little.
- As seems to happen close to every year, I’d like to revise my top ten albums list from 2018. Basically, move Elvis Costello’s “Look Now” into the #10 slot and slide 11-15 around appropriately, with the Jayhawks album now in the #11 slot. I under valued the Costello record a little at the time and realized it as I was doing the spoken-word version of the list on my podcast.
- My Grandma has been in a bad way for a long time. I think since the day after Christmas, she’s been in one medical facility or another suffering from pneumonia, a heart attack, RSV, and a stroke. All pretty much at once. All at the age of 93. She finally got to return home today which is part good news and part the insurance company being too cheap to keep paying for medical rehab. It’s been quite a journey for her and there’s still work to do. There’s probably a whole post in this, but I’ll just leave it here for now.
- I recently relistened to all the music I put out in 2018. I feel like I did some of my best work last year with the release of “It Could Be Worse,” “* (Asterisk),” and the “Hallelujah” single. It was a good, productive year. If you haven’t listened to any of that, it’s still free to listen to and download at the links in this post. Or you can pay if you want to. But if you just download it for free, I’m more than happy about that. I don’t collect your e-mail address and won’t even know you took it. So please take it. I’m proud of all of that stuff. I’m proud of MOST of what I’ve released over the years, but last year felt like something special. For what it’s worth, I don’t think I plan to release anything at all this year, so hopefully two full length records and a single last year will hold people over (ha ha).
- I watched at least half of the Superbowl this year. It made a good argument for watching Monday Night Raw instead of Monday Night Football, for sure. Bad game played by teams no one was supporting this year. Even the commercials were nothing special. Nor was the halftime show. Let’s just pretend it didn’t happen.
…and y’know what? Everything else I want to talk about feels more long-form, so I’m just going to stop now. I promise that I at least intend to write again before Valentine’s Day.
- Guided By Voices – Zeppelin Over China
- Over the Rhine – Drunkard’s Prayer
- Mandolin Orange – Tides of a Teardrop