Well…no better way to start the new year than by writing the same kind of post I always write…so let’s get a Simpsons quote in the title and do the random thing.
- Happy new year. I didn’t do anything at all on New Year’s Eve/Day. I don’t really care for it. It’s just an arbitrary passing of the clock that exists mostly for tax purposes and nothing makes January 1 any more unique than September 7th or whatever. No need for the hubbub.
- I did go to Vintage Vinyl on New Year’s Eve during the day with my brother…but that didn’t really have anything to do with the holiday. I hadn’t been in Vintage in a while and enjoyed the trip. I ended up buying a hoodie and the Motorhead cover-album that came out in 2017 (which would have been ineligible for the top ten, as all of it was previously available elsewhere except for their baffling cover of Bowie’s “Heroes.”)
- Dave published his top ten list, by the way. You should go check it out.
- I’ve been spending a lot of time playing around with my Nintendo Switch. So far I’ve got Mario Odyssey, WWE 2K18, and Shovel Knight. I like all three a lot. I spent most of today playing the WWE game. I’ll have you know my create-a-character Adorable Dingus McGee is climbing the ranks and is already the NXT champion. Meanwhile, newcomer “America’s Sweetheart” CHAD is making a name for himself in the heavyweight division. It’s a lot of fun. Mario, of course, is breathtaking. And Shovel Knight is exactly what you’d expect a game called Shovel Knight to be like. It’s nice to be back into gaming.
- I have a dental surgery scheduled for January 11th. I know it’ll be the best thing for me, but I’m (understandably) nervous about it. I’ve only been sedated twice in my life. One I barely remember, but I remember being VERY out of it and confused. The other I remember waking up and not thinking I’d been under, then Mom decided it was a perfect time to go to K-Mart and do some shopping with me pushing the cart. (A+ parenting, there.) So I don’t know what it’ll be like, really…and I’m nervous about the pain/recovery and the probability of facial swelling. But hopefully it’ll be the answer to my migraine problem. (They’ve still been occurring semi-regularly.)
- If I didn’t have the surgery scheduled, I might take a couple of days off just for vacation time. I’ve been exhausted lately. And I could use the time to work on stuff. But I’m planning to be out of the office for at least the 11th and 12th with an ice pack on my face. So that’s probably about as close as I’m getting to a vacation.
- I’m hoping to go see Rufus Wainwright in February. But I don’t know anyone who likes him other than me… He’ll be playing with the St. Louis Symphony and it sounds like something I’m going to love. I think I’m just going to buy two tickets and then try to talk someone into it after the fact. But I’m going to wait until after the surgery to do it (at the very least). If nothing else, I’d feel kinda guilty buying concert tickets knowing that I’m about to have an insanely expensive dental procedure done. If I wait until after that money’s spent, I’ll probably be better able to convince myself that I’ve been through a lot and I deserve it. 🙂
- After the teeth are out and the headaches are gone (assuming that happens), I need to get back to being active at doing things. I’ve been lazy lately. Friendships, church attendance, and even musical practice has been very much on the backburner for the majority of 2017. As much as I don’t care that it’s 2018 now, it would be nice to have something resembling a social life again by this time next year.
- Also in 2018, I’ll be putting out the “It Could Be Worse” record. I need to do a photo session before I can put it out though…which I imagine won’t happen until Spring. It’s colder than a witch’s tit out there right now. (Side note: I’ve never been sure what makes witches tits so cold, but I like the expression.) I think “outdoor” shots will be necessary for this record, so I’m thinking it’ll be after the thaw. The vocal tracks are all recorded and I’m deep into mixing. It’s not done-done yet, but it’s close. More to come.
I think that’s all I’ve got. Happy blah-blah. I’m sure I’ll blog about all of my dental fears and such later.
Current Listening: Assorted Talking Heads and also some Elton John.