Been meaning to write for a while. For what it’s worth part of the reason I haven’t is WordPress has made some changes I don’t like and they’re pushing me to add stuff I flat-out WON’T because this isn’t designed to be a monetized blog…but that’s all creator/owner nonsense that shouldn’t impact anyone but me. Let it be known that unless you see me specifically mention it, no ad you ever see on the blog is endorsed by me and you shouldn’t fucking click it.
That said…let’s do an everything/nothing post… Simpsons quote in the title, etc…
- We had an eclipse here. About half the country had an eclipse, in fact. I didn’t watch it. Wasn’t interested. Absolutely every picture I’ve seen looks the same (except, conveniently, the ones from NASA or the ones where somebody fucked up and something artsy happened by accident) so I feel like I’ve seen it, even though I didn’t. I spent most of the day irritated at the businesses that closed for it; particularly at the place I’d planned to go for lunch. Which closed at noon, with the eclipse more than an hour away. But I digress… Hope those who found it mystical (although I’d debate the magic of anything we can accurately predict down to the second) were happy with whatever they saw in it. I opted to keep staring at my work computer screen.
- I’ve started up the podcast I was talking about a couple of posts ago. It’s going pretty well! Good amount of listens/downloads. It’s going a little better than I was anticipating, so that’s nice, especially if it keeps growing. Go give it a listen. The Empty Checking blog can be found at http://derekbrink.blogspot.com. Or if you’d prefer to listen to it direct from the host, the no-frills SoundCloud posts can be found at http://soundcloud.com/emptychecking. I’m having fun with it, and I hope you are too… New posts every Thursday! Probably!
- One of the things I talked about in brief on the first episode of Empty Checking was the death of Glen Campbell. He was great. Not just a country singer, but also a member of the Wrecking Crew, having played on even the Beach Boys’ “Pet Sounds” album. A great musician and by all accounts a great guy. I’ve got a decent amount of his music, but with 60+ albums to his name, I’ve barely made a dent. Big loss to the music world.
- Then this week Jerry Lewis died. I was VERY sad to learn that (although it can’t really be called “unexpected” since he was in his 90s). I’ve been a big Jerry Lewis fan for a very long time and in the past I’ve been an MDA contributor because of his telethon. I’ll be talking about him on Empty Checking this weekend in long-form.
- Also on the podcast (this is getting dangerously close to just being a promo spot, but seriously, listen to the damn thing!) I updated my thoughts on the new Doctor Who. In a previous post I said I would be hesitant to see a female Doctor. Wanted to update my thoughts in writing here in addition to what I said on the podcast… While I still have reservations about what a female Doctor might mean long-term for the show’s ratings and while I still believe it’s a transparent PC publicity stunt (that could VERY easily backfire)…I like the casting choice. I’m very familiar with Jodie Whittaker from her work on Broadchurch (which stars pretty much the entire fucking cast of Doctor Who past and future). She’s great. If anyone can pull it off, it’ll be her. I’ve gone from hesitant but still loyal to kinda excited, but still hesitant, and still loyal. So that’s improvement. 🙂 Assuming it’s well helmed by the new crew, I’m expecting to be completely won over in the first episode. We’ll see!
- Been grumpy lately. It’s partly because I’ve recently hung out with people I used to go to church with and I miss them and I miss that church and I haven’t felt motivated to do too much about finding a new one. I’ve been sleeping in most Sundays. I wish my prior church would start some service it makes sense for me to attend…but they aren’t doing that. So I’ll just be grumpy when I see the people I never see anymore. Y’know…the hardest part about that is that I don’t get invited to much stuff anymore… When you’re a member of a church, they say you’re “family.” But find yourself unable to attend a service and suddenly you’re acquaintances at best. The friend circle that regularly gets together outside of church services stops texting you, you don’t get asked to come along to special events, and Facebook sends you reminders of how easily you lifted out with their daily “On this Day” feature… And that sucks, man. There are people I’d have helped move bodies two years ago that I’m probably never going to see again because of one stupid fucking time-change. And I’ve been harping on it all this time. I just don’t fit in most churches…I’d found the one where I did and finding another one is like looking for a unicorn in a sewer. But I’ll shut up about it now.
- Haven’t done a damn thing on the new record. I’ve been focusing all my energy over the last two weeks on–you guessed it–the podcast.
- Been watching 30 Rock on Netflix. It’s fine…but I don’t feel like I’m missing anything during the times where I stop paying attention. Tracy Morgan and Jack McBrayer are both funny as hell though, so they’re keeping me in it.
- In case you’ve not noticed there’s been more racial conflict in the country. I’ve considered writing a lot of different stuff about it. A lot of my thoughts have been randomly and abruptly tweeted–the empty void of Twitter is pretty much where that stuff belongs.
Long story short… I see why people want to tear down Confederate statues and I think their hearts are in the right place…however a lot of Black people I know think it’s a wasted gesture that’s just causing violence and Nazi rallies and that the money could be better spent funding inner city schools. I have trouble disagreeing with that. Shit, most of us wouldn’t know where those statues WERE if not for the protests over them coming down. But that’s irrelevant…
The violence in Charlottesville was reprehensible, of course. (Most of us wouldn’t know where that town was either…) There’s just no excuse for killing in the name of “pride.” And there’s no excuse for beating a man for the color of his skin. And there’s no excuse for not arresting every fucking ONE of those racist sons of bitches for using hate speech intended to incite violence. BLM protesters get arrested…usually those protests aren’t violent until the cops show up. The milk-toast cops who didn’t swing one baton or fire one gas canister at the Nazi rally…
Y’know…I’ve been a lefty a long time and again, I think a lot of people MEAN well…but I’ve been a little embarrassed that our response to Charlottesville has largely been a cry of, “THERE’S A NEW CIVIL WAR COMING!!!” There isn’t…no one’s funding it, no one’s leading it, no one’s succeeding, and no one’s going to be able to have the military presence to stand against their own country’s military. It isn’t a war unless you’re able to fund a war. It just isn’t. But if it were, you’d know you were on the right side if you beat the fuck out of a Nazi. And those idiots are so mind-numbingly fucking stupid that they don’t even have the sense to wear hoods like the KKK. (You’d also be right to beat the fuck out of a Klan member, were it war.)
And on that same note, the division between the left and the others on the FAR left is stupid. So is the division between the left and the right on this particular subject–because frankly I don’t think there IS a division in general. “Racism is bad” is an almost universal thought and the people on the right are disgusted to have the racists using their brand to speak their garbage… And I know there’s a racism of ignorance at play too. I know a lot of people have racist attitudes, but would be shocked and offended to be CALLED racists…but that’s not who we’re fighting. We’re fighting ACTIVE racists…and even those who don’t see their own racist attitudes hate the supremacists. The left should be joining the right in condemning the racist minority (albeit emboldened by Tr*mp) instead of trying to make it all about ourselves. Yeah, fight ’em on healthcare…but when the right is disowning racists, the enemy of your enemy is your friend. And we’ve got a lot more friends than the celebrities we’re listening to on twitter are allowing us to believe. Plug into your own thoughts…talk to your own friends and acquaintences…stop listening to the media who’re only interested in creating the next bloody story and think for your damn self. You’ll find some common ground to stand on.
So that’s jumbled…but those are my thoughts. It boils down to just fucking STOP it and treat people like people. Unless they’re Nazis. Fuck those guys.
That got long…so that’s it. Go listen to the podcast. Or make dinner. Or go to bed. Or go to work. I don’t know when you’re reading this.
- Glen Campbell – Ghost on the Canvas
- Guided By Voices – How Do You Spell Heaven?