Like the title says…here are some updates/announcements about stuff I’m working on…
- A couple months ago, a friend started a blog about pro-wrestling. We were talking about maybe me writing some contributions for it, mostly write-ups of my memories of old angles, Pay-Per-Views, etc… Stuff that I liked as a kid/teen that maybe a modern audience didn’t see live. Then he stopped writing the blog. Don’t know why; haven’t discussed it… But I liked the idea and I still want to do it. So occasionally, I’ll be posting those pieces here. I’ll be calling those posts “Wrestling With My Memories” and they’ll start coming pretty soon. I’ve got a big list of stuff to write about, and maybe it’ll get me posting more frequently.
- As you’re all aware, I’m working on an album for early 2018 called “It Could Be Worse.” I’ve been on pause with it for the last few weeks. Things got busy and I need to be in the mood to do vocal takes. It’ll get done. Just need to get off my butt. Right now, the mic stands are out in my car following my last gig with Mike Feldman last weekend…so that’s where we are in the process. 🙂
- I’m also going to be bringing back my old podcast soon. I was doing “Empty Checking” on a weekly or every-other-weekly basis for about a year. I stopped for a few reasons. In part, I got a roommate and it got hard to find a quiet hour to talk into a microphone about the shit I bought. But I also got a little burnt out on it. And I stopped buying comic books, which was making up probably 90% of the podcast at the time. But I liked doing it and I’m living alone again…so why not? It’ll be a different experience this time. Few if any comics. Mostly music. And I’m looking into hosting options…the one I was using at the time was okay, but I think I can do better. I’m actually considering doing the whole thing on YouTube and just posting the videos in the blog. And there will probably be a *slight* redesign of that blog just to mark the change. We shall see… As soon as I’ve got a host figured out, I’ll start promoting it here.
- I’m also outlining my NEXT musical project. Yes, I know the first one isn’t done. But I’ve got a bunch of oddball, proggy songs that’ve been looking for a home for years…so I’m stitching them together. No idea on a release date for that. Late next year? We’ll see… But I’ve realized that I’ve got one–ONE–ridiculous, pretentious-assed prog record in me, so I’m working on it. My default is the rock meets folk meets country meets punk thing I’ve always done… But prog and heavier music have always been a big part of my life, and I want to make my own, humble contribution to the genre…finally.. The working title is “Complete Departure.” Because it would be–it won’t fit with anything else I’ve ever done. But, of course, that title is subject to change. It’s an ambitious project. And it might even get scrapped as I freak out about it while recording…but if I don’t talk about it, I won’t think about it…so here we are.
- The *other* thing I’m working on is losing some goddamn weight. I’ve been “heavy” for a few years now and I’m willing to accept that I’m not going to get back to “thin.” But lately, it’s been a number I’m just not comfortable with anymore. So I’m going to do something about it. I’m pricing exercise bikes. So far, I’m only short by the cost of one exercise bike. Also when I first wrote this, I misspelled “exercise.” So that bodes well.
And that’s the stuff I’m working on. Couple more small bullet points below…but wanted to do a post just about upcoming projects, rather than my standard “everything/nothing” posts.
- I’ve been getting in to Dinosaur Jr. Never really listened to them before now. Wow. This band is where “grunge” came from in the 90s and most of the kids in flannel had no idea. A lot of them probably still don’t. Enjoying the hell out of them. Present favorite album is “Without A Sound.”
- Also been listening to solo J Mascis (the front-man of Dinosaur Jr). He’s great as an acoustic solo artist. The “Tied to a Star” album is a gem that I’ve overlooked for FAR too long.
- Manchester Orchestra – “A Black Mile to the Surface” (aka – “A Bad Title for a Great Album”) – GREAT release. Took me three listens, but this thing’s an epic and it’s worth every listen.
- I read George Saunders’ novel “Lincoln in the Bardo” about three weeks ago and it’s still with me. I’ve been wanting to share about it. It’s a quick read. Think it only took me like three sittings. It’s written almost like a play in quickly attributed dialogue. It’s about the death of Abraham Lincoln’s young son Willie. What is known in real-life history is that Abraham Lincoln visited his son’s tomb after he was interred and held the lifeless body in his arms for a while–a vision of Lincoln most people probably do not call to mind when he is mentioned. Saunders took that concept and ran with it. “Bardo” dives deep into the spirit world and examines what the residents of the graveyard must’ve thought of it…but it’s so much more than a ghost story. The book is an examination of grief and while yes, it helps to know a ***little*** about the history, it’s largely unnecessary. The Lincolns are just a backdrop for Saunders’ greater points about death, mourning, and giving the dead permission to die while the living gain permission to live. It’s chilling, moving, and stunning. You definitely could do worse than to make this the next thing you read.
And that’s it. Goodnight.