Been a couple weeks. Let’s get a Simpsons quote in the title and do a random post!
- I’ve been writing some new music. I don’t think I’m releasing anything in 2017, but I’m digging into the process and the goal is to make something DIFFERENT from my other records. Maybe TWO things that are different. There are some old songs I’d like to have on a record and some new stuff I’m looking forward to working out… If I do two projects, one will be more Americana-meets-Punk and the other will be more experimental, maybe even proggy. But this is all in the future. I don’t even have titles for the projects, just a list of “spare songs” that has like 25 titles on it. As a window into my process, no album is ready to go until I have a “opening track” in mind…and I don’t have one. So I’m not looking to do anything in the immediate future. It’s just fin to talk about.
- Went to a new church on Sunday. It’s a place called Renew out in Maryland Heights. Small crowd; they’re a fairly recent start-up. I liked the service a lot and had lots of nice people come up and say hello. I’ll probably go back. On the other side, I’ve officially bowed out of Pursuit. I’m not even keeping up the pretense of being on a “small group” Facebook page. I’ve attended so few group meetings in the last year that I can count it on one hand…so it’s just time. Pursuit moved into a direction I can’t follow, so it’s time to admit that to myself. Here’s to new beginnings I guess. And maybe to Renewal…
- Been building myself an office at the house in the room my old roommate vacated when he moved out. (I think I’ve mentioned it before.) I’ve got my grandpa’s old desk in there and a couple of bookcases. Going to be setting up some music stuff, maybe putting some art on the walls, etc… Only real problem I’ve run into is that the office chair I have isn’t adjustable and it’s slightly too short for the desk!
- Watched the Oscars. The false-finish and gimmie-gimmie-gotcha they pulled on La La Land was a shame. I didn’t see any of the movies nominated. I don’t doubt that Moonlight deserved the win or anything…but that kind of mistake is just inexcusable.
- I’ve got a lot of concerts to attend soon! Deep Purple with Alice Cooper… Iron Maiden (with Ghost)… The DESCENDENTS (which I’m just incredibly excited about!)… It’s gotten to the point that I’ve had to decide NOT to go to a few! Looking forward to each show, but the DESCENDENTS is just a dream come true. Never thought I’d get to see them.
- I picked up a book I’m really enjoying. Paul Auster’s “4321” came out in hardback recently and came with the endorsement of a couple of people I trust. So I grabbed it. It’s about a boy who’s born and then his life takes a multiple-choice of paths. You get to simultaneously read four different versions of the same guy’s life pan out…just one little change here or there and the kid’s life goes on a different course. It’s really good. Problem is that it’s also LONG… I’m 230 pages in and that’s maybe a quarter of the book! But it’s worth the read, if you’re looking for something.
- Picked up the new Ryan Adams album, “Prisoner.” It’s really good. Felt like an old friend after the first listen and I highly recommend it as “probably going in my top ten” already.
- I was sad last week to hear that George “The Animal” Steele passed away. Steele was a WWF-era wrestler in the days when Hogan and Savage ran the earth (and lines of cocaine). Steele was known for “eating” the turnbuckle pads during his matches, rarely being knocked down, and being either the fiercest villain or gentlest big-man in the squared-circle, depending on the angle. And by all accounts, the latter was closer to the truth. I don’t know of anyone in the industry that didn’t have good things to say about Steele–and this is an industry where talking shit is as common as discussing the weather. Steele being “in love” with Miss Elizabeth is one of my very first memories of caring about a wrestling angle, and I even had the George Steele wrestling figure that they sold back in the 80s. He was a big part of my wrestling heritage and he will be missed. As I said while I was watching the WWE’s tribute to him last week on Raw, “I’m not crying…I’ve just got some turnbuckle stuffing in my eye.”
- I’ve been playing the new guitar a lot, but also one of the older ones… The new one’s so nice, it’s motivated me to fix up the old one and make it into the guitar I always meant to make it. So I’m making some upgrades to my 2009 Martin that I’ve had a while. It’s been used on some of my past records, I’m sure… Think I bought it after the “Out from the Light” record, so probably “New Year’s Eve” onward has featured it here and there. The action has always been too high on it and I’m trying to fix that. The 1973 Martin (“Helen”) is inspiring a lot of what I’m doing to the other one…got some good ideas of what to do to fix up the 09 guitar by looking to the 1973. Funny how the old ways are often better. Only thing I’m nervous about is that I’m going to have to sand-down the bridge saddle, and I’ve never done that before! Fortunately, replacing it will only cost $12 if I fuck it up. 🙂
I think that’s it for now. Kinda sleepy. Blog ya’ later…