First things first, I hope you all like the new blog design. Took me a while to get it right and land on the look. I dig it, and I hope you do too.
You all probably know that I’m not a fan of New Year’s Eve. Wrote a whole damn thing about it. Whatever.
As you might imagine, I don’t really make New Year’s resolutions. I think it’s a meaningless and arbitrary passing of time and if I want to change, I’ll do it when I’m ready to do it, regardless of the month. However, one thing I’m always resolved to do is going to the record store. (I have no idea if that sentence was grammatically correct.) Since I ended 2016 talking about music I liked, I see no reason not to start 2017 talking about stuff I’m looking forward to picking up when it comes out this year. There’s a lot of potential cool music on the horizon. So here’s a brief list of upcoming stuff on my “to buy” list (in no particular order). I’m sure there’s more than this that’s coming out that I’ll be thrilled about when it happens…but this is the stuff of which I am presently aware.
- Jason Isbell is promising a new one, but I don’t think it has a title yet. Regardless, I’m obviously very much looking forward to this one, since he’s been on the top ten list twice in the past five years; once at #1.
- Craig Finn (aka that guy from The Hold Steady who looks like a nerd, but I bet he’s pretty cool) – “We All Want the Same Things”
- Brian Eno – “Reflection” (I’m curious.)
- Ryan Adams – “Prisoner” (Just got into him this year, so I’m glad I’ve got a new one to look forward to.)
- Dropkick Murphys – “11 Short Stories of Pain & Glory”
- There’s speculation that Flogging Molly will also put out a new one, just to keep up with DKM.
- Overkill – “The Grinding Wheel”
- Living Colour – Shade
- Slipknot is supposed to have a new one. Liked their last one a lot.
- Imelda May – Life Love Flesh Blood
- Halestorm – “ReAniMate 3.0”
- Pain of Salvation – “In the Passing Light of Day” (I have an on-again-off-again relation with PoS. Hoping this will be good.)
- Rick Wakeman – “Piano Portraits” (Again – curious.)
- The Jesus and Mary Chain – “Damage and Joy” (Because…what?? There’s going to be a new Jesus and Mary Chain? I mean, I’m not a HUGE fan, but that’s significant!)
- Arcade Fire’s supposed to have a new one, but no title yet.
- Nine Inch Nails was rumored to have a new one LAST year, but no dice…so it’s probably happening THIS year. (Although I think they put out an EP or something last year that I overlooked.)
- And it seems like maybe Sloan was talking about a new one when we saw them? Or maybe I imagined that?
Other Music-Buying Goals:
- Finish my collection of all the Sloan albums.
- Finish my collection of all the Tragically Hip albums.
- Finish my collection of all the Bowie albums (ashamed to say that I shocking don’t have them all…mostly because who really WANTS “Pin Ups?” But whatever.)
- Finish my collection of all the Elvis Costello albums.
- Finish my collection of all the Tom Waits.
Specifically VINYL goals:
- I’ve been working to get all the Who albums on vinyl. Specifically older copies–not COLLECTOR grade–just the mixes I grew up with.
- Been looking for a copy of “Sunflower” by the Beach Boys on vinyl for like a year to two, and it’s driving me nuts.
- I’m also on a mission to find a copy of Over the Rhine’s “Ohio” record on vinyl. I don’t know if they even ever released it that way, though…
And that’s as close to resolutions as I’m getting! 🙂
- Sloan on “shuffle.”