Been meaning to write for about a week. Wanted to get in one more before the end of the month, and who knows, maybe this’ll go up before midnight and I will have succeeded. (EDIT — Spoiler alert: Nope!) You see the Simpsons quote in the title…you know the deal… Here’s a random post…
- Most of you will know I’m a big pro-wrestling fan. (So much so I’ve even signed up with Pro-Wrestling Loot–free plug.) I know not everybody is going to share that passion, but if you’ve been a fan and drifted away over the years, I just want to take a second to encourage you to tune in. Monday Night Raw has been pretty good lately, and they’re pushing a guy named Finn Balor, who if you’ve never seen him, you’re missing out.
- I failed to write about going to the National Blues Museum a couple of weeks ago, with my dad. It’s a fun place. I’m a little under-educated on some of it (but that’s why there are museums) but even so, they’ve got some really cool pieces in there and there’s a lot of fun stuff to look at and read about. Highly recommend it.
- I’m stalled on my Dennis Lehane read-through. I started “Shutter Island” but got stalled for a variety of reasons and haven’t picked it back up. That’s not on purpose. I’m sure I’ll get back into it and have a good time. Part of the problem is I’ve seen the movie and that makes reading the book a little harder.
- Last week was a big week at the record store. I discovered I like Ryan Adams, so I picked up some of his stuff. While doing that, I bumped into a 1967 copy of the Beach Boys’ “Smiley Smile,” which was a cool find. (It’s now hanging on my wall.) Then this weekend Dave (my brother) and I hit the record stores to pick up copies of the new Descendents record. I also got Brian Wilson’s new “Brian Wilson and Friends” live record and an old Lou Reed live album I didn’t have yet. Lots to listen to!
- Talking of my brother. We’ve got drums done for his solo record. Just need to do background vocals and mix it to his satisfaction and we’re done! Working title for the band is Dave and the Not-So Daves. No idea on the album title. Should be out before election time.
- Which brings me to the reminder that Donald Trump is a dangerous lunatic.
- I don’t remember if I talked about it here or not…but I’m thinking I’m going to do a small solo-release late in the year. It’ll be an all-acoustic retrospective thing. Just me playing some songs from my solo career from “Grounds” through “Trigger Warnings and Sunshine” with maybe a couple new songs on an acoustic guitar. When you’ve got 8 albums, sometimes people need a gateway release to get their foot in the door, because they don’t know where to start. I thought this would be a way to do that where I could have some fun, too. Assuming I actually do it, I’ll probably call it “Sorry, I Didn’t Mean to Shout.”
It’s a short one, but it’s going to have to do. The other stuff I want to write about is more “full post” material. Hopefully that means I’ll write more soon.
- Descendents – Hypercaffium Spazzinate
- Nice As Fuck – Self-titled (on Spotify–haven’t been able to find a physical copy yet)