Blog’s been a little heavy lately. So I’m writing a random post focusing on stuff that isn’t heavy. Let’s get to it.
- This weekend, I went to the theatre twice with friends. On Friday and then Saturday nights (respectively), we saw Ghostbusters and then Blazing Saddles. I’d never seen either one big and loud before. Both were a lot of fun. Blazing Saddles was particularly fun for me because I’ve had a long love affair with that movie and was sitting next to a good friend who’s had an even longer love affair with it. And it was a midnight movie, which always adds a certain fun buzz to the experience. Although, I’ve got to say that seeing the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man in that kind of width and clarity was a blast, too. 🙂
- We’ve been working on it for some time, and now it’s down to the closing couple of weeks of recording… So I guess I’ll let the cat out of the bag and let everybody know that my band The Social Gospel will have some sort of recording available very soon. We’re doing 10 songs. Bass and drums are wrapped. I just need to finish my guitar tracks (which will take me about a day) and then we do final vocals and we can wrap the thing. I know we’ll be doing a digital release, but we haven’t discussed physical products (or at least I don’t remember discussing it). We don’t even have a name for the project yet…so probably there’s a band meeting coming up soon… But all ducks in a row, I imagine it’ll see release before the end of the year. Here’s the tracklist of songs you don’t know yet (they probably won’t be in this order):
- Live Your Life
- One of Us
- After the Storm
- Poor Roger
- That Was Then
- What I’m Dying For
- Sister Myrtle
- Sleepin’ In
- I have done a ton of recording with Mike Feldman in the past couple of months. I did an acoustic demo that’s just him and his guitar, and also an electric one that’s his full band. I think I had them both done in one mix. You work with a guy long enough, you get a feel for what he wants on his record. There’s a book to be written some day about my musical decade (and a bit) with Mike… But who’d write it? I’m too lazy and I don’t think he wants to…
- I’ve also done some recording with my friend Tony. There’s going to be a Christmas record with me playing the bass on it coming out this year. I played on Joy to the World, Christmastime, and a Carol of the Bells/God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen hybrid. The Christmastime part was particularly challenging. I don’t play jazz a lot and I had to jazz my ass off on that one. (Playing jazz is almost like praying–you go in with complete confidence, yet only when you see the results do you really realize it worked.) It was a lot of fun, and I’m looking forward to the finished product. I don’t even LIKE Christmas music, but I still think this sounds pretty good!
- Let me tell you this… Minute Maid Cherry Limeade.
- There’s a new Doctor on Doctor Who. I like Peter Capaldi. I liked him before this and I’ll like him in and through and after this. The show’s just as strong as ever, and I think they’re taking it into a grumpier, darker, more mature place that I’m really going to enjoy. Peter walked in and just WAS the Doctor. Immediately. Glad to have him.
- Current Reading: “The Cuckoo’s Calling” by “Robert Galbraith” (aka J. K. Rowling). It’s good. She’s infinitely talented and the work she’s doing (as a man–ahem) just proves that she didn’t lose her magic when the Potter series ended. I do wish she’d just use her own name, but I get it…Stephen King does the same thing, after all. Although, I’m not sure how anyone didn’t know it was her, what with the extensive use of the time turner in chapter seven… (Joke.)
- I’ve just remembered I have a YouTube channel. I should do something with that.
- My office is taking us to a baseball game tomorrow. Is it weird that I’m stressed out by that? I’m not a fan of the sport, so I won’t know what’s happening, and all I can think about is the e-mails coming in without me reading them. Oh well… It’s a nice gesture, and that’s what I should focus on.
- I’ve watched as much of the “Every Simpsons Ever” marathon as possible…and I’ve got to wonder why that isn’t just its own CHANNEL now. They’ve obviously got the available material…and I know it’d constantly be on in MY house–and I CAN’T be alone in that. So, come on Fox…make it happen! All Simpsons, all the time!
…and I know there was more I intended to write, but I can’t recall what. Hey-ho…not like I can’t write more nonsense later. For now, at least no one died in this post, right?
- Lowercase Noises – Migratory Patterns
- In This Moment – Blood
- Queen – All of the Queen…