Bet you thought I forgot about you, huh? What’s that? You didn’t? You got here by Googling “What is Carl from the Simpsons’ last name?” Ah. Well… For the handful of people who do enjoy my little corner of the Internet, my apologies for not writing more lately. I’m suffering from a case of the “I stare at a computer all day” virus, and often avoid the computer at home. So…let’s catch up with one of those random-post thingies…
- Went to see Coheed & Cambria with my friend Brandon earlier in the week. Brandon’s a big fan of theirs. I’ve been familiar with them for a while and meaning to explore them further. When Brandon ended up with an extra ticket and invited me along, I picked up some of the music I didn’t have before, immersed myself in their bullshit mythology (which is excellent–just because it’s bullshit, that doesn’t make it not excellent) and have a new band to obsess over. The show was great. Circa Survive opened and I liked them too…but Coheed was definitely the main event. Haven’t been to that high-energy of a show in a long time, and it was a lot of fun. I’m officially going to order the bullshit comic books explaining their bullshit mythos as soon as I have the extra cash to spend on that kind of bullshit.
- So, a lot of people I know are having babies… And a lot of those people have been posting their baby photos on Facebook. And that’s cool…but you know what isn’t? The NAKED baby photos. And here are three reasons why. (1) That is NOT your own nudity to do with as you please. Posting photos of someone else’s nudity without their consent, no matter your relationship to that person, is an extreme violation of personal privacy. (2) Someday, someone WILL use those photos to cause your child embarrassment. (3) You don’t know what might be going through the minds of the Facebook “friends” you have…and there are some real sickos out there, and you’d be shocked to find out who they are. Do you really want to give something that can essentially be used as pornography to a disturbed individual, knowing that the source material is your own child? Much less…what if the person decides to ACT on their urges, and knows where to find your baby? Think things through people. That’s all I’m asking.
- The band’s first gig is just around the corner. September 13 will be here before you know it! I have tickets available for $6. If you pay at the door, it’s $8. (Or you can also buy online here.) So the math seems pretty simple. Don’t be a jerk. See my band!
- I’m also excited to announce that I’m working on booking a solo gig at the same location in October–but that’s not officially official yet. Details forthcoming!
- A few quick music reviews:
- Camera Obscura – Desire Lines — Typical Camera Obscura. Doesn’t break new ground for the band, but for those who’ve heard their previous work and thought, “Man, I wish there was more of that,” they put out some more. And it’s good.
- Newsted – Heavy Metal Music — The metal album I’ve been excited about for months is…is…fine. It’s not as great as I was hoping, but it’s fine. Sort of like if Alice Cooper joined Corrosion of Conformity. I know. I didn’t ever wonder what that would sound like either. Turns out it’s okay, but not much to write home about.
- Coheed & Cambria – The Afterman: Descension — Just saw them live, so I’m probably a little biased…but it’s great. You know how a lot of people talk about a band’s early work as being their best and they got either derivative or boring as time went on? Not true of Coheed. They might be making the best music they’ve ever made right now.
- My new solo record, “Ink Stained Fingers” is coming along. I’ve got all of the main parts recorded (though I’m considering outsourcing some piano parts) and I’m doing some mixing tests. I’m taking the time to find the right “feel” for the songs. I’m working on the first half of the project at present. Even though it won’t be on vinyl, I’m thinking of it in two “sides” and I’m mixing the first “side” right now. It’s going alright. I’m at the stage now where I’m still figuring out exactly how to put the “sound” of the record together so it achieves everything I want it to. At this point, I’m hoping for a November release, if everything falls into place right.
…and I’m going to stop there for now. This has been an exhausting week and I’m tired of writing. There’s more to say, but hopefully if I don’t say it now, that will push me to say it later and I’ll actually write again soon.