Been forever since I’ve done a “random” post. So let’s do one now! Why not?
- Had a good New Year’s Eve. Spent it at a small gathering at the home of my friends the Lynns. My roommate was there, and I met a couple of new people. Guy called Jeremy (need to meet about 15 more Jeremys for them to catch up with how many Daves I know) and a girl called Dani. This is going to sound…actually I have no idea how it’ll sound…but it was good to meet new people. I don’t think it’s a secret that I’ve been a little bummed out recently–I get like that sometimes, and sometimes it lasts a while. New Year’s Eve helped. Meeting new people that I liked helped. I don’t know…it might not be that either of those folks ends up being a long lasting, close friend or whatever (or they might)…but meeting new people that I liked made me feel like, “Maybe there’s a future after all.” I guess it’s the little things. (And the champagne and the Guinness didn’t hurt either!)
- On a similar note… I’m not really one for New Years resolutions… I typically think they’re pointless and fleeting… But I have made the decision to DO more stuff in the days ahead. I forgot that I like getting out and seeing people and having fun. (Yes, I FORGOT that I like having FUN.) TV and guitars are OK…but so are other peoples houses, and game nights, and coffee houses, and maybe even the odd bar if you get there early enough that the sloppy drunks haven’t taken over.
- Doing my yearly reading of “Catcher in the Rye.” Enjoying it. Probably do the yearly reading of Hamlet afterward…just knock ’em both out in one go.
- Other books in my cue:
Willie Nelson – “Roll Me Up and Smoke Me When I Die” (Already read a lot of it–short stories and thoughts composed while Willie was on the road. Light read. Nearly Finished.)
Neil Young – “Waging Heavy Peace”
Kurt Vonnegut – “Letters”
Tana French – “In the Woods”
And I’m also looking forward to the pending release of Joe Hill’s “NOS4A2” (Say it out loud if you don’t get it.)
- Been working on a new CD for Michael Feldman. It’s going to be called “Shadowland.” It’s got some really good material on it, and I’m enjoying the work. I’ve been adding my own stamp to it, too. He drafted me to do some background vocals throughout the project (on one of the songs, I built him a full choir part!), bass on one track, and I’m even playing piano on another. It’s been fun. I think we’re 1-2 mixes away from it being finished. In partial payment for the record, he gave me a guitar. (Last time he did that, it was the Telecaster I play regularly.) This time it’s an ESP Ltd model in kind of a cherry-burst. Inlays all around the body and neck. There’s a Duncan noiseless pickup and a humbucker in it. Nice guitar–high end of the ESP/Ltd brand. Enjoying playing it very much. I’ll try to put some photos on the Tumblr page soon.
- I’ve been somewhat frustrated musically lately. I’ve been playing and writing a lot…but I’m not sure what to do about it. Some of what I’m coming up with is so far removed from any project I’m working on at the moment that it’s just going to have to sit until I figure out what to do with it. And the solo stuff is fun, but what am I really doing with it? Any more, I give away more CDs than I sell and it is TOUGH to get someone to pay for a download these days. Somewhere after Steve Jobs’ people invented the iPod, music became free…and that kind of sucks both as a musician and as a fan. Only thing that’s really making sense right now for me is Two Hangmen (band with my brother and Dave Knobel–which has at least one too many members to be called “Two” anything). The songs I’m writing for that are stronger and more focused. Really hoping the band finds its feet and gets some gigs on the calendar soon.
- There’s a free-standing Panda Express by my house. (I was previously only familiar with them as a mall eatery.) I’m eating there maybe too much…but THAT much food for $7 isn’t a bad deal. Though I do miss the mall…
- Took down at least most of the Christmas decorations last night. Funny…all that glitter and the bright lights… Made me forget that the house is a mess. Now I just feel like I need to take a week off to clean up the place.
- So a couple of weeks ago, I found and bought a Doctor Who scarf (like the one Tom Baker wore on the show back in the day). I was excited to find it and I like wearing it…and I’ve gotten TONS of people coming up to me and talking about Doctor Who since. It’s kind of cool. You’re instantly friends with folks because they recognize a stupid affectation you’ve adopted. 🙂
- My responsibilities at work have been revised in recent days. I think I’m more comfortable doing what I’m doing now and I think I’m doing a better job of it. So that’s good news.
- Been having some shoulder pain lately. I think it’s a result of all the guitar playing and also I’ve been sleeping in weird positions lately. Well…and on Friday my nieces and nephew were climbing all over me, so that could be part of it too. (They get heavy fast when they’re slamming into your chest!) Particularly noticed it at work. Lots of shoulder and arm twitching and aching things. (And no…it’s not a heart attack…stop it.) Just enough to be irritating and make it on the blog. 🙂
Well…got used to three day work weeks over the holidays. Kind of exhausted what with having to go in on a Monday and all! I’m going to try going to bed. Haven’t been sleeping right lately, but might gain some ground tonight. Here’s hoping, anyway!
- Elvis Costello (Best Of)
- Jason Isbell – Live in Alabama