I spent my teen years in the time period known to historians as the 1990s. Lately, I have noticed a lot of music compilations seeing the light of day that are claiming to represent 90s music. I look through the playlists and I find myself scratching my head wondering where the music I listened to is… Where’s the stuff that we talked about at MY high school??? So I’ve made my own lists, and I thought it might be fun to share them here.
The playlist titles describe all you need to know about the choices I made. There are two I actually put together as playlists, and the third is a list of stuff I intentionally overlooked. Please note that I’ve ENTIRELY overlooked the rap/hip hop genre…because I didn’t listen to that shit then and I certainly don’t now. If it’s your cup if tea, then cool…but I’m into the rock and/or roll.
So let’s rock–or a facsimile thereof…
(Sorry for any weird phone auto-corrections… Even sorrier about anything it SHOULD have corrected that it missed.)
Playlist One: Disillusionment and Loss
1. Nirvana – Smells Like Teen Spirit
2. Foo Fighters – Monkey Wrench
3. Sugar – Good Idea
4. Stone Temple Pilots – Trippin’ on a Hole in a Paper Heart
5. The Breeders – Cannonball
6. Weezer – Undone (The Sweater Song)
7. Presidents of the United States of America – Peaches
8. Live – I Alone
9. Soundgarden – Black Hole Sun
10. Cracker – Low
11. Meatpuppets – Lake of Fire
12. Primus – Wyonna’s Big Brown Beaver
13. Rage Against the Machine – Vietnow
14. The Prodigy – Firestarter
15. Cranberries – Zombie
16. Pearl Jam – Black
17. Radiohead – Creep
Playlist Two: Grunge Goes to College
1. Alanis Morissette – You Oughta Know
2. Letters to Cleo – Here and Now
3. Cake – The Distance
4. Spice Girls – Say You’ll Be There
5. The Cardigans – Lovefool
6. Spin Doctors – Two Princes
7. Deep Blue Something – Breakfast at Tiffany’s
8. Meredith Brooks – Bitch
9. Tori Amos – Cornflake Girl
10. Fiona Apple – Criminal
11. Gin Blossoms – Hey Jealousy
12. Goo Goo Dolls – Iris
13. Oasis – Wonderwall
14. Jars of Clay – Flood
15. Joan Osbourne – One of Us
16. Jewel – You Were Meant for Me
17. Our Lady Peace – Supersatellite
18. The Pursuit of Happiness – Bored of You
19. Lemonheads – Mrs. Robinson
20. Soul Asylum – Misery
Notable Exclusions: (No particular order, but it felt wrong not to mention them.)
Metallica–Who I consider more of an 80s act.
U2 – Who span WAY too many decades
Sublime – Because who cares?
Green Day – Because I hate Green Day
Alice in Chains – Just not a fan. Nothing personal.
Collective Soul – Again, just not a fan.
Counting Crows – Because shut up.
Black Crowes – Because of what they turned into.
Beck – Because ugh…
Hootie and the Blowfish – Because meh.
Sugar Ray – Because Mark McGrath.
Sheryl Crow – Just never got on board.
Blues Traveler – Because I couldn’t find the room.
Dave Mathews Band – Because no.
Candlebox – Because I don’t own any.
Pantera – Never got on board.
Mr. Big – Just BARELY too old.
Extreme – Also just BARELY too old.
Union – Because I couldn’t figure out where to put them.
Sixpence None the Richer – Because do you REALLY want to hear “Kiss Me” again???
4 Non Blondes – Because also non-enjoyable.
So…did I miss anything?