I was killing some time today and I started jotting down Bill Murray movies I liked. (My roommate and I have discussed a couple of Bill Murray’s appearances lately. That’s what started it.) So here’s the list of movies Bill’s been in that I liked, and a few words where I feel like it… Enjoy! (List is in no particular order.)
- Meatballs – Probably my favorite of his movies. I typically watch it once or twice every Summer. Come to think of it, I’m about due for it!
- Ghostbusters, obviously
- Ghostbusters 2 – Which is in some ways superior to the original. Blasphemy, I know.
- Little Shop of Horrors – Only had a bit part, so to speak…but he was in it!
- Royal Tenenbaums – Actually didn’t love the movie, but liked him in it.
- Groundhog Day
- The Life Aquatic
- What About Bob?
- Scrooged – One of only a handful of Christmas movies I like.
- Garfield – Terrible movie, but he did well with the voice-role. A little free voiceover history. Bill Murray voice Garfield, who was previously voiced in the cartoon world by Lorenzo Music. Lorenzo Music also voiced Peter Venkman in the Real Ghostbusters cartoon show. The Venkman character was, of course, played by Bill Murray in the movies. So when Murray did the voice of Garfield, he was voicing a character that had been voiced by someone who provided the voice of a character he himself had previously voiced! Also, side note, rest in peace Lorenzo Music. He died in 2001…and I wasn’t blogging then…so retroactively, rest in peace.
- Coffee and Cigarettes – Sure, Tom Waits chatting with Iggy Pop was better…but Bill’s segment with a couple of the guys from the Wu Tang Clan is definitely worth it.
- Rushmore – Again, didn’t love the movie, but he was good.
- Ed Wood – EXCELLENT movie and an equally excellent role for Murray.
- Quick Change – I’m not sure if this one’s better than it gets credit for, or if I’m giving it too much credit. Either way, I like it. 🙂
…and of course, there’s his TV career. Let’s all take just a second to appreciate Bill Murray tonight. Thanks for the laughs (and so on), Bill!