Well it HAS been some time since I last blogged, hasn’t it? Sorry about that. Sometimes life gets away from me. The Internet, doubly so… So let’s catch up a little. The Simpsons quote is in place…let’s get random!
- Went to Uncle Bob’s funeral. It was good. The singer was not great, but otherwise the service was fine, and it was nice to see all the family—including my cousin Terry, who I haven’t seen for the past several Thanksgivings. Was hoping to chat about music with Uncle Eddie a while, but he drove one of my (more-or-less) ailing aunts back to Arkansas. Eddie’s a great musician, and I have a dream of going to Arkansas with my laptop and a few microphones and recording him playing, just as a keepsake. Seems like the kind of thing I’d have to talk him into though. Anyway…it was a good trip, albeit for a sad reason.
- Speaking of funerals, very sad to hear that both George “Goober” Lindsey and Duck Dunn have left us since the last time I posted. So…wait… The death-trilogy is MCA, Goober, and Duck? That…that just looks incredible in print.
- It is entirely possible that I will have a roommate living with me in the house in the next month or so. It’s looking pretty likely, but I don’t want to jinx it, so I’m not going to say anything more. But I hope it works out and I’m excited.
- I watch Deadliest Catch. One of the captains is trying to quit smoking on the show…and it’s really making me WANT to smoke. Oh well.
- I haven’t said much about my ongoing kitchen remodel, have I? Well, most everything is in place. The microwave and coffeemaker are living together on my countertop…the dishwasher is washing…the dishes are going into cabinets…and I’ve got ice trays. Just need to finish up some small odds and ends, and we’re done. I’ll put some pics on the tumblr page soon, I’m sure.
- Picked up the new Rufus Wainwright record “Out of the Game.” It’s super-poppy. Definitely the most pop-driven thing he’s ever done. Definitely the gayest record I’ll buy all year (and I mean that in every sense of the word). It’s good. It’s not his BEST…but it’s good, and I like it. Almost jarring to hear him go back to pop after the uber-weighty “All Days Are Nights/Songs for Lulu.” But a lot of it is instantly catchy and it’s entirely Rufus. So I’m happy.
- Been swamped at work lately. Just have to keep running uphill, I suppose… Sooner or later it’s got to level out, right? Hey…at least we’ve got the work. That’s no bad thing.
- I relistened to the old Blue Tattoo record-that-never-was recently in order to get some demos together for Two Hangmen’s drummer. It’s a lot better than I remember it being, but there are definitely things I’d fix if I went back to it, particularly in my own performances. Still, I did a small re-master (fixed some EQ issues, got it loud, etc) and it sounds pretty good. Can’t wait to re-record the ones that we’re keeping for Two Hangmen.
- Speaking of recording, I’ve put myself on a little bit of a hiatus on “Pop Art Manifesto.” I was getting a little too swept up in it. I haven’t touched it in about a month and I don’t think I will before the end of May. I need to remove myself and come back to it fresh, both so it doesn’t get stale, and also so I don’t accidentally regret things I wouldn’t have heard being so engrossed in it. I think it’s a strong enough project that it needs the benefit of me NOT working on it for a while. 🙂
- So TV’s “House” is almost over huh? That’s kind of sad. Love that show and love Hugh Laurie. But I hear-tell that he and Stephen Fry will be reuniting to do some voiceover work soon–so no complaints about that! (And now that he’s got the time…fingers crossed for JUST one more series of Fry & Laurie? Please?)
- Hoping to revive Empty Checking soon…but I’ve said that a million times and it hasn’t happened…so I won’t say more.
- My music is OFFICIALLY off of iTunes (et al) as of today. Just got the e-mail. At what I was paying TuneCore to host it, I feel less sad than I do FREE. I’ll find my way back to the Internet soon, I’m sure. If nothing else, I can host downloads from my own site, so that’s always an option.
- The Two Hangmen website should have a pretty big upgrade here shortly. I had to delay it due to a few things happening unexpectedly (ie – funeral), but I think I’m about one three-hour session away from being done with the upgrades, which will include the 2H EP going onto iTunes, where my solo stuff just left! 🙂
…and that’s it for now. I’ll try to blog more in the rest of the month. I promise.