I’ve been making it my mission to name every “random” post after a piece of Simpsons dialogue. Ralph Wiggum is a particularly good source for that.
So here’s stuff that happened or is happening or might not happen or whatever. You know the drill by now, probably. Unless you’re new. In which case, prepare for hazing at a later date. I’ma take yo’ pants.
- I went to Vintage Vinyl on Tuesday. It was Valentine’s Day and I hate Valentine’s Day usually, so I stopped in to have some fun looking for music. Tends to lift my spirits a little bit. Bought a copy of the 2009 deluxe-edition release of Miles Davis’ “Kind of Blue” because I realized I didn’t have a copy and that seemed wrong. Also bought a copy of Mark Lanegan’s new record “Blues Funeral.” Listened to “Kind of Blue” a couple of times and it’s every bit the masterpiece people say it is. “Blues Funeral” was a little jarring at first, because I’m primarily a fan of Lanegan’s “Field Songs” which is pretty laid back. “Blues Funeral” has moments that are very pop-based and rhythms that almost border on techno. Good record, but I need to absorb it further (wait…farther?).
- Also while at Vintage the following (approximate) conversation took place, proving that record stores are the best places in the world.
- Clerk: You enjoying Valentine’s Day?
- Me: Not especially.
- Clerk: Why not? You single?
- Me: Yep.
- Clerk: Well then what’ve you got to worry about? Everybody else is running around stressed. Let THEM hate it. You’re a free man!
- Me: Never thought about it that way…
- Clerk: Yeah! Go home, open up a beer, listen to Miles Davis…
- Me: (Smiling) You just changed my day, sir!
- Bought new comic books today.
- Batman #6 — Really, really good. I was off Batman for a while under the Grant Morrison helm, but Scott Snyder is a genius. I’m actually angry when an issue ends now, because I want to know what happens next. I’m SO glad to have that back!
- Winter Soldier #2 — Not yet read, but I have high hopes for the series. Feel a little let down by the “Captain America” title right now, but Winter Soldier seems promising. I just wish they’d have timed it a little better to explain Bucky’s release from Gulag and then apparent death in Fear Itself…but most of you have no idea what I’m talking about. Hugs!
- Generation Hope #16 — The only X-Men title I’m presently reading, and they’re talking about canceling it. I sure hope it lives on.
- Rough day at work. Nothing specific. Just swamped—which is kind of good in its way, because at least that shows that there’s work to DO, y’know? Hoping for a brighter tomorrow. Almost the weekend, after all. I think the headache I had all day just made it feel more difficult than a lot of it probably was…except for the stuff that was actually that difficult. 🙂
- Oh, as an update, I put in for a few vacation days next month. I’m taking off March 14-16, leading up to St. Patrick’s Day. Looking forward to that! It’ll be good to have some time to just do nothing but knock my guitars around for a while.
- I’ve been really tired all week. Like “hope I’m not coming down with something” tired. This morning, for example, my alarm went off and I sat up and turned it off. A couple of minutes later, I realized I had fallen back to sleep…while still sitting up. That can’t be good, can it?
- I can’t even begin to say how much I want a burger right about now. Doesn’t even have to be a good one. I just want a burger. Yet I’m too lazy to drive. Nuts.
- A little disappointed to hear the news that TV’s “House” is coming to an end this year. I still stand beside the show, and I know a bunch of people stopped watching once the original three “ducklings” went their separate ways. (Even though they all came back to varying degrees.) I think it’s a case of a show having too many cast changes in too short a time and people gave up. But in my book, it’s called “House.” So as long as House was on the show, I was cool with it. Plus, Hugh Laurie is a ridiculously talented actor, and I like watching him. Hoping he doesn’t end up going back to the Stewart Little flicks after this. He’s better than that.
- Or a hot dog…I wouldn’t turn down a hot dog. And donuts are pretty great…
- So I carry a briefcase from place to place. Have since pretty much high school. (I wonder, in post-Columbine, post-9/11/01 high schools, do they let the kids have briefcases?) It’s amazing how regularly people ask me what I keep in it. I’ve even had cops stop me more than once while I’ve been walking down the street and ask me to open it. (Each time it’s happened I’ve told them I find it insulting and asked if I can inspect the contents of their patrol car in return. So far, no takers. Shit like THAT is why I don’t give to “Guns and Hoses.”) I don’t know what the mystery is…what do people think I’m going to say? The honest answer is, “papers, notebooks, some stuff for work, a book or two, sometimes my lunch, pens…” Y’know…stuff you’d find in a briefcase. What’s the big deal?
- …who am I kidding? I’m making soup.
See you next time, with more nothing!