Short version, just to catch up:
- Taught a small lesson at the college where I used to work about the importance of comic books as an art form. It was fun.
- Went to Springfield, IL to attend the memorial of my friend Derrick. It wasn’t as fun.
- Still working.
- My solo record is on hold until I get a new laptop.
- Haven’t bought a new laptop yet.
- Giving Mike Feldman the first mix of the demo he recorded with me tomorrow.
- I am largely unprepared for Christmas.
Now…the rest of the post… Here is a list of the new music I’ve purchased/acquired in 2011. Only 10 can make the top ten…what will they be? (Possible hint: The only thing keeping me from having it finalized is that I have purchased, but have not yet LISTENED TO the new Black Keys record.)
- Drive-By Truckers – Go Go Boots
- Dream Theater – A Dramatic Turn of Events
- Lou Reed and Metallica – Lulu
- Rush – Time Machine Tour (Ineligible for top ten, since it’s a live record.)
- Those Darlins – Screws Get Loose
- Wilco – The Whole Love
- Wanda Jackson – The Party Ain’t Over (Ineligible since it’s a covers record.)
- Foo Fighters – Wasting Light
- Flogging Molly – Speed of Darkness
- …And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead – Tao of the Dead
- Get Up Kids – There Are Rules
- Steve Martin – Rare Bird Alert
- Anthrax – Worship Music
- Chickenfoot – Chickenfoot III
- My Morning Jacket – Circuital
- Jayhawks – Mockingbird Time
- Dropkick Murphys – Going Out in Style
- Beady Eye – Different Gear, Still Speeding
- CAKE – Showroom of Compassion
- Centro-Matic – The Candidate Waltz
- Hayes Carll – KMAG YOYO
- Imelda May – Mayhem
- Iron & Wine – Kiss Each Other Clean
- Old 97’s – The Grand Theatre, Vol. 2
- Tom Waits – Bad As Me
- Over the Rhine – The Long Surrender
- Mr. Big – What If?
Bands I’m already aware I’m overlooking, but that isn’t likely to be purchased by the end of the year: Mastodon, Social Distortion, Tori Amos, Pearl Jam (TWO live releases, and somehow I didn’t buy either one!), Hugh Laurie (yes THAT Hugh Laurie—I hear the record’s good), Devin Townsend, Alice Cooper…and I think Hank III did some online releases no one really seems to have taken note of yet.
…and I thought 2010 was a great year for music. I had NO IDEA what this year was going to bring!
Up Next: A Loving Tribute to Harry Morgan