Sorry I’ve been writing so little lately. I keep meaning to, but I keep forgetting. So I’m going to do a random thing. I meant to write a lot more about a lot of these subjects…but we’ll just do the short versions.
- I saw the Foo Fighters on Saturday. Went with my brother. Neither of us had ever seen them before, and they’re touring behind a really great record, so this was a good time to go. We were a little bit behind the stage, but still had a good view. Grohl and company put on one hell of a good rock show. It was fun and they showed off some pretty impressive musicianship that a lot of people probably didn’t realize they had going into the night. Only bummer was that I couldn’t get the special t-shirt made just for St. Louis in my size…but when a band you like plays for three hours, it’s hard to be too mad about a shirt-size. After the show, between getting out of the parking lot and taking a wrong turn downtown, it took us a LONG time to get home, and I didn’t crawl into my own bed until somewhere between 3-4 a.m. That’s a successful evening in my book! Fun night. (And by the way… My current theme song is “Walk” off of their new record.)
- The DC Comics people just did a relaunch of pretty much their entire universe. Pretty much everything has gone back to “issue #1” and we’re getting a whole new look at the characters we’ve loved for years. I think it’s pretty good, so far. I’ve been happy. But I’ll talk more about it in my Empty Checking podcast this weekend.
- My kitchen remodel hit a snag. The place where we got the cabinets sold us a sink-base that was too small for the sink/the hole they cut in the counter-top. They’re making it right…but it takes 5 days for shipping. Disappointing, but at least it’ll work out.
- Two Hangmen have also been a little bit delayed, mostly due to pretty much everyone in Dave’s household getting sick for a couple of weeks. But we’ve got some fancy plans for the near future. If nothing else, I’ll at least have the website fully up and running soon and the EP fully purchase-able via PayPal and probably on iTunes too.
- My friend Jimmi’s son Clarence died recently. The funeral is tomorrow. I’m going…because that’s what you do. Wish Jimmi well, if you think of it.
- The new Dream Theater record is not the statement they needed to make, and suffers from a fairly ball-less mix…but it’s a good record. It sounds like a band that’s been together for 20 years releasing another record of new material. It’s fine…but it’s not their heyday… But considering the new drummer, the rush to get the record out, etc, etc…it’s a success, and I’m basically enjoying it. I have absolutely no musical critiques. Their performances are great. (In fact, James LaBrie probably sounds the best he ever has.) The mix just isn’t very good, and the songs are hurt by it, unfortunately. But then again, I seem to be in the minority in saying that…so who can tell. (More on this on this week’s Empty Checking podcast as well.)
- I ate at the Fountain at Locust for lunch last week. Someone took our office out for lunch. It was really good. I highly recommend it. If you can get by on a Wednesday, I recommend the Wednesday special, called the Thin Man. It was amazing.
- I watched the Emmys. I was very entertained, even though the winners were almost entirely predictable. But according to the Internet, I’m wrong about that too… Oh well… At least it was cool to see Charlie Sheen come out and be EXTREMELY classy about the Two and a Half Men thing. In fact, he was way classier than Cryer and Kutcher were later in the evening. (But I’m sure their segment was scripted.)
- Work is fine…etc…
That’ll do it. I’m going to bed. Thanks for reading. I’ll try to write again soon.