It’s officially St. Patrick’s Day in St. Louis! Here are a few thoughts about it…
- This is one of my favorite times of year. I get to drown myself in corned beef, cabbage, potatoes, and Guinness, and no one says boo! And I’m very proud of my heritage. I like that there’s at least one day where we get to acknowledge it. I’m a little bummed out that to most people that just means getting rip-roaring drunk (on Budweiser products, no less! Ugh!) and making an ass out of themselves…but you take the good with the bad. Not every cousin is a good one, y’know?
- So I’m heading down to the Dogtown parade with my Dad. Should be good. Good food. Good music. Hopefully we’ll wander off at some point to see something other than the inside of the church this year, though. Don’t get me wrong, I’d be content enough to just hang out there all day, but part of me feels like I’m missing the spectacle by doing that.
- My brother noted on his blog that it’s possible that the last name Brink was, as he put it, “believed to be a popular European derivative of ‘O’Brieren.’ Can’t get more Irish than that folks.” Sounds like crap to me…but I’ll take it! It’s the kind of crap I like. 🙂
- The Dropkick Murphys (one of my favorite Celtic Punk bands—and yes, there’s more than one—have released their own signature banjos. As you know, if you’re a friend of the blog, I’ve been in the market for a new banjo for some time… How in the hell am I NOT supposed to buy this?
- I’m taking tomorrow and Friday off work, partially in honor of St. Pat’s. (And partly because I haven’t had a proper vacation in about six years…so a couple of days off in a row sounded pretty good! And fortunately, my bosses are good folks and were glad to give it to me.) I’m excited about sleeping in on Friday. I get to sleep in a LITTLE bit tomorrow, but we’ve got to leave a kind of early to get a decent parking place for the thing in Dogtown…but Friday, Saturday, and Sunday (keeping in mind that I now go to church on Saturdays), I’m going to sleep and sleep and sleep. I can’t tell you how excited I am about that!
And in closing…I leave you with this, which the industrious among you can probably translate via Google:
Beannachtaí na Féile Pádraig oraibh! Pionta Guinness, le do thoil.
Comic Books Purchased Today:
- Morning Glories – Issue #8
- Fear Itself Prologue: Book of the Skull – One Shot — This is the new, title-spanning thing Marvel is doing. So far, it at least looks like it’ll be better than the “Civil War” fiasco of a few years ago, anyway.
- Batman “Irresistible” 100-Page Spectacular – One Shot — I stand by my boycott of the Batman main title and the “Incorporated” crap…but the 100-Page one-shots have been pretty good.
- The Unwritten – Issue #23
- Darkwing Duck – Issue #10