Got a few thoughts…let’s go.
- So the Superbowl has come and gone. A few notes on that…
- The Game – Decent game. I don’t watch football much. (I actually find it pretty irritating. I mean, what’s the point of a clock, if you keep STOPPING it?!?) Not bad though. At least it was close. I didn’t care about either team, so I just got to sit there and watch and make fun of it. And that’s always fun.
- The Food – At the party I went to—that I’ve always gone to, every year since I’ve been alive, except for two where I had the flu—they always have awesome jumbo shrimp. Reached a new personal best this year, eating over 50 of ’em. I lost count somewhere above 40…but I know there was at least one plate-full after that. So, yay me!
- Okay. Fine. So Christina Aguilera screwed up the national anthem, and yes it was embarrassing, and yes it was a stupid mistake. But I’m a little tired of reading how, as one Post Dispatch writer put it, the “marginally talented (at best)” singer shouldn’t have been allowed to sing it in the first place. First off, anyone calling her “marginally talented at best” is an idiot and completely invalidates their own opinion as it’s obvious they know nothing about music. (I’m not a fan, but she’s DAMN talented.) Second, she was very professional and respectful in her approach to the song, even dressing modestly and doing her best to look the part. Third…tell you what, next time you feel like criticizing her, imagine yourself standing in front of a multi-national crowd having to remember all the words to “Genie in a Bottle” and see if you’re still such hot shit.
- Okay. I agree that the Black Eyed Peas sucked. SUCKED! I have more than once defended the Black Eyed Peas. Again, I’m not a fan…but I have always begrudgingly kind of liked them. I’ve always said that they bring a TON of energy to their live performances and dismissed any missed notes as a byproduct of them jumping around all over the place—hard to stay in pitch while you’re in mid-pogo. But last night, they didn’t have that excuse. They brought absolutely no energy, let the background dancers do all the “impressive” dance moves, and still sounded terrible. To their credit, there were audio-problems from moment one…but they still didn’t sing well. Fergie is the only person in the world who could’ve done a worse job singing “Sweet Child O’ Mine” than Axl. Even Will (whose stage name I.will.not.acknowledge) sounded like crap, despite the heavily auto-tuned microphone. For God’s sake, Usher was the best part of the show singing a song that was apparently a hit last year, but that no one in the room I was in knew. Just a sad state of affairs. Bring back the arena-rock bands, NFL. The Who, Springsteen, U2, Prince, The Stones…all of them had good mixes and good performances. And then the year you use background tracks and auto-tune, it sucks. Correlation?
- Favorite Commercial – Probably the “House” commercial where they parodied the old Mean Joe Green commercial. Always a good joke anyway…but made so much better by seeing a kid get hit in the face with a cane. 🙂 Otherwise though, I was largely underwhelmed by this year’s offerings…but I’m super-excited about both the Thor and Captain America movies! 🙂
- Thinking about getting a dog in a few months. I love dogs, and it’d be cool to have one milling about, happy to see me when I walk through the door. Not sure what kind. Thinking something hound-sized, but maybe not actually a hound. Something a little bigger than a Cocker Spaniel, probably…but smaller than an Alsatian.
- RIP to Gary Moore (who was much more than “that guy from Thin Lizzy,” thank you very much every Internet news site). I’ve played more than a couple of his signature songs over the years. The guy did a lot for music, especially rock and blues, but also traditional Irish at various times. He will—or at least SHOULD—be missed.
- Two Hangmen recording resumes tomorrow night. Looking forward to it!
- Mohela may actually be working WITH me to reduce my loan payments—and maybe SIGNIFICANTLY! So, if that goes through, I will take back *some* of the mean things I’ve said about them.
- For the record, road construction crews do NOT take it well when you flip them off. (But what other choice do I have when I’m driving through an intersection with a GREEN light and you back a backhoe across the intersection right in front of me, running a RED light? Road crews are NOT above the law, y’know.)
- I’m thinking of having some guitar repairs done. I’ve got six or so that all suffer from the typical “unknown crackle” type symptoms of old age. And I found out that a store I used to go to is effectively doing repairs again…so maybe I’ll have some of them patched up.
- Valentine’s Day is coming up. I will be celebrating by mocking all of you who are celebrating, per usual.
- EDIT: Oh yeah…and I wanted to share this picture that Catherine from the Feldman Group sent me from the gig last weekend.
And that’ll do it. I’ve got a headache and I’m tired of writing.