Got a few things on my mind…so let’s talk about all of them at once. That’s right. We’re going random, here…
- I was hoping the Jets would get into the Superbowl. I don’t watch American Football much, though I do tend to keep up a bit with the English Premiership (which most of you would call “soccer,” but I don’t really want to get into that). But, about 10 years ago, I said the Jets would go all the way…and now it’s 10 years later, and I almost got some very delayed bragging rights. But they tanked it. Personally, I just don’t think they thought past the Patriots (but I’m glad they beat them, anyway). As it stands, I don’t care WHO wins the Superbowl as I don’t particularly care for either team. I actually kind of dislike them both—but I can’t remember why, exactly. Oh well…at least there’ll be awesome food at the party.
- The Two Hangmen EP is progressing. I *THINK* I’ve more or less completed the drums. I started in on my “final” guitars today…and that’s not going too smoothly. I’m over-thinking it, and it’s not sounding right. I need to care less, overdub less, and just embrace the fun part of it. I’ll get there…but it didn’t happen today. Oh well…maybe I’ll gain some ground on Tuesday’s session. If nothing else, we’ll work on bass tracks with Dave and I’ll get a sense of scale for my guitar work.
- I’m incredibly proud of The Simpsons for referencing the World Trade Center in a comedic way on the show tonight. Homer was trying to order from a 20-year old catalog, and Marge told him he wouldn’t be able to do it. So he picked up a pen and started addressing an envelope while saying, “We’ll see about that… #1 World Trade Center…” I was almost too surprised to laugh, then I did. I’m glad we’re finally getting to the point that we can take what was—of course—a very sad moment, and work it into a comedy show. And it was done tastefully, in a way that didn’t mock 9/11/01 or anyone who died. Good job, Simpsons…and THANK YOU!
- And now, it’s time for another entry of “Facebullshit!” This is the thing where I take an “inspirational” quote from the Facebook status of one of my friends, and mock it. Today’s entry is a quote by William Hazlitt. Apparently he at some point said or wrote the following… “Man is the only animal that laughs and weeps, for he is the only animal that is struck with the difference between what things are and what they ought to be.”
- Joke response: Then how the hell do you explain Woody Woodpecker, jerk?
- Real response: We’ve all seen animals gutterally howl (their version of crying) or even abused animals shed tears of pain in those videos where Sarah McLaughlin bores us with her music. We also can CLEARLY tell when our pets are having fun and think something’s awesome. Just because you are a human, you can’t dismiss that other forms of life are also parts of creation, have nervous systems, emotions, and thoughts. And that some of them are delicious.
- I’m always really proud of myself when I remember someone’s birthday without Facebook having to tell me about it.
- Jack LaLanne died today. Despite the cries of “too soon!” …I say they outta juice him.
- I know a Feminist of whom I am very, very tired. Now, I have no real problem with the concept of Feminism. I think women deserve equal pay, equal rights, equal benefits, etc, etc… But at the point where you no longer want equality, but instead want REVENGE, my sympathy is short-lasting. Every time I hear the woman in question talk about how helpless men are, I just want to say, “Yeah, you’re right. How could I possibly have gotten by for 30 years? All this time I’ve been earning an income, living in a house, paying my bills on time, having a basically successful music career, maintaining friendships and family relationships, driving a car, and keeping out of prison…all without a woman to guide me! I MUST change my lifestyle immediately!” But I’m pretty sure she either wouldn’t understand the sarcasm or would somehow misinterpret my irritation as a victory. So instead, I’m blogging about her without naming her. And THAT’S how passive-aggression works!
- I have a minor toothache. Very minor…but worth mentioning. I think I got it biting down on a charred bit of some food I ate this week. Seems to be a recurring theme in my life, huh? It’s basically fine. Hurts less today than it did last night. Slept just fine. Gone without painkillers. No swelling. No biggie… But I wanted to mention it for some reason.
- A guy from the Banjo Club called to tell me that he has my songbook with him and that I can pick it up from him whenever. (I didn’t attend the January meeting, because I still don’t have a new banjo and also January’s Thursdays have been kinda busy.) I haven’t yet. For some reason I haven’t called him back yet. Dunno why…but I will. And sooner or later I’ll GET that banjo, too!
- This is going to make me sound like a terrible person, but there’s a small, sick twisted part of me that loves watching divorces play out on Facebook. All the unfriending, and the friends choosing sides and unfriending other friends who’re still friendly with the “wrong” friends. We’re living in the future…and it is stupid. In real-time.
- I heard we’re going to get more snow. I guess it kinda snowed today, but you might not know it. I think there’s supposed to be even MORE later this week…but who can tell? St. Louis weather is weird. I like snow…but I hope it holds off. I don’t mind it when what time I show up to things doesn’t matter, but I HATE having to try to make it in to work on time when it’s snowing. And MoDot sure doesn’t make it easier.
- I’m still reading through Vonnegut books. And I’m still sort of planning on the record filled with songs inspired by Vonnegut’s work…but I’m not really sure how to approach it. If I do it, it’ll have to be done in a way that appeals to people OTHER than Vonnegut fans, and doesn’t throw out TOO many references that people would have to Google…but at the same time, if I cop-out and say “inspired by Vonnegut” but don’t reference things like “Ice-9,” “Billy Pilgrim,” “Kilgore Trout,” etc…do I really even want to do it? Tough call. Anyway…I’ve got about three songs at least mostly written. One of them is pretty abstract and not too reference-packed. One is entirely biographical (and I think that’s fair and will work just fine). And the third is abstract, but FILLED with references to Vonnegut’s universe. We’ll see where it goes…
- I bought gloves! I haven’t had gloves all Winter, and with all the snow, you can imagine how that’s felt. So I finally bought a pair at Walgreen’s on Friday night. They are made by the “Handmaster” company. Is it just me, or does that sound like some guy turned his embarrassing Junior High nickname into a positive?
- Also on Friday, I ate an entire order of Kung Pao Chicken, and an entire order of Crab Rangoon from my favorite Chinese place…then I ate two Gus’s Pretzels. That was a lot of food… And—word to the wise—if you eat that particular combination all in one go, you get a little heart-attacky.
- Got a gig coming up on Saturday with the Feldman Group. Haven’t done that in a while. Should be fun…but also exhausting. It’s one of those 4-hour bar things that I’m going to leave hours in advance to get to on time. I’ll enjoy it, don’t get me wrong…but it’s always a long day.
- I recorded an episode of “Empty Checking” that should go up sometime between now and Wednesday. It’s kind of a fun one. It’s me rambling after one shot of bourbon, and sipping on another shot while I’m talking. So it gets a little weird. 🙂 I’ll note it here when it’s up.
…and that’ll do for now. I’m not sure how much I’ll have to post this week…but you’ll read it here first!