Seems like everyone on the Internet is talking about their favorite/least favorite Christmas songs right now. Well, if that is the way the wind is blowing, let no one say that Derek Brink does not blow.
So here we go. I’ll explain them as I feel is necessary, but for the most part, I’m just going to let these stand on their own.
LIST OF CHRISTMAS SONGS I LIKE:
And this is pretty much it. I’m not a big fan of Christmas music, as I find most of it to be plastic, sentimental crap…but this is the crap that works for me.
- White Christmas
- I’ll Be Home for Christmas
- The Christmas Song (“Chestnuts Roasting…”)
- Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
- Jingle Bell Rock
- Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree — I stand by both of these last two, despite my brother’s insistence that I should pick only one.
- Feliz Navidad — Screw you people who don’t like this one! How can you not be just flat-out cheered the f*ck up by the “I want to wish you a Merry Christmas!” part???
- God Rest Ye, Merry Gentlemen
- Holly Jolly Christmas
- Winter Wonderland
- O Come All Ye Faithful
- We Need a Little Christmas
- We Wish You a Merry Christmas
- Fuck Christmas — By Eric Idle of Monty Python fame. I linked to it last year.
- Happy Christmas, War is Over — I stand by it…but I will agree that it’s overplayed.
- Silver Bells, depending on the version
LIST OF CHRISTMAS SONGS I HATE:
And I actually trimmed this list down SIGNIFICANTLY to the ones that REALLY irritate me! I’m more apologetic on this list, as I think I need to justify my hate to those who question it.
- Mary Did You Know — Of course she did, you moron.
- Away in a Manger — Mainly because of the “The little Lord Jesus, no crying He makes…” line. Bullshit. He was a flesh and blood BABY who was surrounded by wild animals in the desert. He cried.
- Little Drummer Boy — Especially the version done by Richie Petrie on the “Dick Van Dyke Show” Christmas special.
- The First Noel — It’s just too long.
- Carol of the Bells — I used to LOVE it…but then I sang it in choir for four years. Then it got played in every store I walked into for six years. And I’m just sick of it.
- O Holy Night — Again…used to LOVE it. But every store I’ve walked into THIS year has been playing this song, and everybody in the world has done a version of it…and most of them drop it a key or two to “hit” the high note. It’s just getting pathetic.
- All I Want for Christmas is my Two Front Teeth
- Do They Know it’s Christmas
- Sleigh Ride
- Santa Claus is Coming to Town — Especially the Springsteen and Jackson 5 Versions. But I’ll let the Phil Spector version live on.
- Up on the Housetop
- Wonderful Christmastime — This song may be the entirety of the reason I hate Paul McCartney.
- Anything performed by the Trans-Siberian Orchestra — It was cute for a while. Now stop it.
- Silver Bells, depending on the version.
LIST OF CHRISTMAS SONGS I’M STRANGELY INDIFFERENT TO:
- Silent Night
- Christmas Shoes
- Blue Christmas
- O Christmas Tree — But it does always turn into “O Whacking Day” (from The Simpsons) in my head.
- Santa Baby
- Merry Christmas, Darling
- You’re a Mean One, Mr. Grinch
- Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer
- I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas — Though I DO want to punch the kid (or lady?) singing the original version.
And there you go…I played along. 🙂
- Zappa in New York — I promise, I’ll listen to something else soon.