Here we go with another random post… Kick off your shoes, unbutton your pants, and put on some soft jazz. This is gonna get weird.
- Bought Joe Hill’s first book, “Heart Shaped Box” (see previous entry for more about him). It’s really good. It’s creepy—but not overly creepy, more like suspenseful. It does a good job of sucking you into the characters before the plot goes nuts. Then when the plot DOES go nuts, Hill did a really good job of explaining the mythos in an organic way that allows people who aren’t really fans of the genre (and, believe it or not from how much I mention Lovecraft, I just barely lean in) to come up to speed, while allowing those who are more familiar with the genre to not feel it’s dumbed down. Plus, the writing is really amazing. Pick it up. In a day, I made it halfway through the book, and I’m hankering for more tonight.
- Stuff at work is fine, I guess. Things are shifting and changing and I think we’re all walking in every day not 100% sure what’s going on…but we’ll find a rhythm soon, I’m sure.
- Handed Mike Feldman his copy of the demo I recorded for him. Within 24 hours, he e-mailed me to tell me it’s “great” and he didn’t suggest anything that needed to be fixed. Is it possible that I nailed it on the first try? Doesn’t sound like me… So I told him to listen to it another couple of times and let me know. But, wow…if I don’t have to fix anything else, I’m handing this thing in to the Grammy people. (Kidding.)
- Running a little low on cash. Spent recklessly at the DBT show last week and I’m still feeling it. Come on payday…which is Friday…then I’ve got to pay all my bills…and this is the “expensive stuff” check…so I’ll be back to square one… Dammit.
- Almost all done with my “Lost” rewatch. I’m starting up disc 3 of Season 6.
- Been tired lately. I think it’s the “Fall” transition, with the days getting a little shorter and whatnot. Or whatever. I’m always tired…this probably isn’t as “new” as I’m trying to give it credit for…
- I made a short list of stuff that might be eligible for my “Top Ten of 2010” music list. I’ve got 17 items that at least bear mention. Wow. Great year!
- EDIT — Rest in Peace to Solomon Burke. He wrote “None of Us are Free” (among other songs) and that one found its way onto my personal “life” soundtrack. May he forever be unchained.
…and that’s it for now. Just a short one. I’ll write more later.
Stuff I Listened to at Work Today—henceforth to be called “Music to Work By” (in order):
- Band of Horses – “Infinite Arms”
- Arcade Fire – “The Suburbs”
- Centro-matic – “Fort Recovery”
- Th’ Legendary Shack Shakers – “Swampblood”
- Camera Obscura – “Let’s Get Out of this Country”
- The Rolling Stones – “Sticky Fingers”
- The Rolling Stones – “Goats Head Soup”
- Tenacious D – [self-titled]
- Iron & Wine – “Around the Well” [disc one]
- John Mellencamp – “No Better Than This” (Which was technically on the ride home, and will probably start the day tomorrow, too.)