Missouri has pretty much (if not absolutely) passed its storied “Proposition C.” I think it sucks and I’ve got a lot I want to say about it…but let’s just assume you’ve already called me a bleeding-heart Socialist, referenced 9/11, told me I’m a bad Christian, reminded me that Arizona has a right to make any law they want to, quoted Glenn Beck, and pointed out that the President’s middle name is Hussein and just move on with our lives…
So here’s a random post…
- As you can probably tell, I solved my Malware problem (for now anyway). MAN that was aggressive. It disabled my ability to open most of my programs and documents. Popped up fake “You’ve got a virus!” windows every 10-30 seconds. Redirected my home-page. And even when removed, I had to completely re-set my Internet browser to be able to access the net again. But, looks like we’re up and running.
- Bought Arcade Fire’s new record today. Full review coming on Saturday’s “Empty Checking” (I’m recording one tomorrow, too…but I’ll hold off on the CD reviews until Saturday.) But, in short… INSTANT add to the “Top 10 of 2010” list.
- Things are a *little* slower at work than they were when I last posted. I actually got the things I needed to do DONE today! 🙂 Grateful for all the business, but wow…business being good can sure get exhausting. Rewarding knowing that my job actually generates money for the company, though. So it’s worth the tiredness and the not-wanting-to-look-at-a-computer-screen-for-the-rest-of-the-day feeling.
- I saw a “block party” today that consisted of about 10 people. That was pretty funny. I mean seriously…who throws a block party on a Tuesday?!?
- I’ve noticed over the course of several lunches that I frequently find myself thinking, “Why? Why does this taste so awesome?!?” …and each of those times, the answer has been “Avocado.”
- As a minor addition to my opening remarks, I have seen some (occasionally unexpected) friends on Facebook saying things I want to say but don’t have the energy to right now. That’s kind of refreshing and I’d like to thank them for it, if they’re readers of the blog.
- Still hoping to go see Rush later in the month. (I am, of course, referring to the band from the fabled Canadas, not the other “Rush” that it isn’t even worth my time to insult anymore.) Those guys always do a good show and I’ve been hearing that this tour is a lot of fun, what with the playing the whole of “Moving Pictures” record and whatnot. Haven’t seen Rush in probably 10 years, and it’d be cool to see them again. Plus, I’m wondering what Geddy’s using in place of amps these days. He started running direct a few tours ago and has been filling the empty space with things like washer/dryer sets, rotisserie chickens, vending machines, etc. Dunno what he’s got up there now. Maybe amps.
- Short version of the story. I mentioned a post or two ago that I played with a couple of guys for someone’s 40th birthday. My friend Dave put the group together. The drummer was a guy called Bob who Dave says was, “the guy who inspired me to play.” Bob hadn’t played drums in about 20 years. He played like he hadn’t missed a beat, and Dave said he hadn’t seen him smile like that in a long, long time. I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again… Only music can do that. I said to Dave that night that he’d done something HUGE for Bob that night. He gave him back his smile and his joy. That’s the best thing anyone can do for somebody else. (Attention America…)
- Spoke to a guy on the phone today who sounded a lot like Rufus Wainwright. I kept wanting to ask him to sing “Grey Gardens” but I didn’t. Lost opportunity.
- I’m watching a thing about the Christie’s (sp?) Auction that they held for all the Star Trek props and stuff a few years ago. I’m a big Star Trek fan (particularly Next Generation, but I liked most of the shows…except I think I only ever saw like two episodes of Enterprise, so I can’t speak for that), but I’ve got to say this… Star Trek fans are freaking nerds! I just watched two ladies dressed as Klingons sing a Klingon rendition of The Beatles’ “Let it Be.” Wow. As Matt Groening once wrote, “You watched it, you can’t UNwatch it!”
- Been a little light-headed today, which probably means I should wrap this up and get into bed…just wanted to post a little bit extra to make up for being down a day or two.
Thanks for wasting your time here. Means a lot to me.
- Arcade Fire – “The Suburbs”
- Squeeze – “Spot the Difference” (The band re-recorded a bunch of its greatest hits in the band’s NEW form. Check it out.)
- Still drifting toward Shooter Jennings and Heirophant’s “Black Ribbons” too…it just works REALLY well in this political climate. Probably my record of the year, unless there’s a rally from someone else in the late part of the game. (Err…that is to say…unless The Who releases something…or something…I’m no good at sports metaphors…)