Here’s a brief summary of stuff that’s happened since I last posted. Be forewarned, this isn’t necessarily linear.
- Seem to have hurt my gums somehow. It was either the Chinese food or the burger. I think it was a stiff bit of Crab Rangoon from the Chinese place, then having to stretch my jaw for the burger just didn’t help. It’s on the mend…just not fast enough for my liking.
- Saw my friend Amanda on Saturday. We got coffee at one of my favorite coffee houses in St. Louis, Meshuggah Cafe (they have a website, but it’s been “under construction” for a very long time, so I’m not linking to it). It was actually Amanda’s ex-husband (who may or may not have a website) who introduced me to the place in like 1999. They still make a really good cup of coffee. Anyhoo… Good to see Amanda. We sat and talked about nothing for about three hours. Hadn’t seen each other in probably 5-6 years, so that was really cool and a nice way to spend an afternoon. Her son Tobias (who is now 11, and that’s weird because I remember when he was born) has a website and makes pretty cool amateur movies. You should check out his stuff at www.txbergystudios.com.
- Also on Saturday, I reached the one year mark. I have not had a cigarette in one year. I posted that on Facebook and got a pretty big outpouring of support that took me by surprize, and I’m very grateful for those people. Had I known they were there all along, I’d have started talking about it a lot sooner! 🙂
- I’ve like COMPLETELY missed the World Cup. I’m actually not that into it anyway…I prefer to watch teams that work together all the time and function strongly as a team (ie – English Premiership) to watching international mishmashes of psuedo-soccer-celebs who may or may not have MET one another before game day…but still, you’d think I’d watch at least a COUPLE of games. I don’t even know who’s doing well and who’s doing poorly. Oh well…there’s always the next one.
- Father’s Day was today (err…yesterday…whatever). Happy Father’s Day again, Dad. We went over to Dave and Valerie’s place and had dinner and cake and played with the kids and dog. The cat bowed out of the evening, as per usual.
- I watched the latest episode of Doctor Who. It was part 2 of a 2-part episode. It was okay, but kind of got into the area of Doctor Who that I have some trouble with. It dealt with these monsters who supposedly have inhabited the Earth since before humans, but they’ve been asleep underground, and we’ve disturbed them, so now we’ve got to come to some sort of arrangement…blah blah blah… Whatever. The monsters looked like Sleestaks anyway. However, I liked the foreboding implication that the TARDIS will soon explode and cause all of the problems that the Doctor’s been fighting against so far this series. That’s kind of interesting…but let’s get some Daleks or Cybermen up in here again and veer AWAY from the things that apparently predate humans on earth. Let’s get back to the Doctor f-ing up ACTUAL history. 🙂
- I finally read that issue of the New Avengers I referenced in the last post. They acknowledge that The Thing is pretty busy with the Fantastic Four and might not be TOO available for the Avengers…so that solved that. Looks pretty good and I hope they go somewhere cool with it.
- Remember when you’d always be sure to watch South Park? When you’d run home early, set the VCR, and/or turn off something else you were watching to see the new episode? Me too. But now… One just started coming on after Futurama and I actually flailed my arms looking for the remote so I could get it off the TV. Sad day. The thing is, I’d probably even still enjoy it if I watched it…but it’s a little one-note, isn’t it? I’m just kinda over it. Plus, the whole thing they had earlier this year with the Muslims really soured me on the show. Not because I agreed or disagreed with either side. Mostly, I heard that they were going to bat against Comedy Central because they wanted to show an image of the prophet Muhammad on the show and the network wouldn’t let them, and my immediate thought was, “What? Again? Or is it still 2005?” They KNEW they wouldn’t be able to do it, but they tried anyway, then cried when exactly what they knew would happen HAPPENED. I don’t really respect that. I’m not saying their position was wrong…I’m saying they’re idiots.
- And…I think the only other thing that’s happened since I last blogged is that I’ve done my laundry.
…and that’s it. I’ve got some stuff I want to write when I am a little more focused…but we’ll see if I actually get to it. 🙂