***If you are reading this as an archived post, please note that this was posted in March of 2010. All links and phone numbers were legitimate and working at that time, but who knows what the future may hold?***
Some of you may remember that Chile was hit by an 8.8 earthquake at the end of last month. You may or may not have heard about it on the news. The day it happened, it seemed like all the stations I turned to were talking about the potential impact it could have on Hawaii and not dealing with the actual epicenter at all. It’s possible that it passed you by, to no fault of your own.
Well, if you missed it…there are a few things I think you should know about that earthquake.
- It was one of the STRONGEST earthquakes on record.
- It “displaced” at least 1.5 million people.
- The capital city moved 10 inches to the left on the globe.
- Miraculously, only about 280 people have been confirmed dead (with many more missing). Not quite so happily, those 280 people were pretty important in the lives of their families and friends.
- 203 prisoners escaped from jail in the chaos. Only 37 were recaptured.
- There was no concert televised on every network for Chile’s benefit.
- Few (if any) international funds were established to send aid.
- Over 500,000 homes were destroyed.
- The President of Chile did state that global aid was not needed (at first). Upon review, his statement was revised to say that they DO need help, plus 3-4 years to rebuild.
Okay. I have friends in Haiti. I have heard some stories from there that are downright horrific. By percentage and in pure loss of life, technically, Haiti had a far worse time with their earthquake (and that’s still ongoing, and they still need your help if you can afford to give it). I’m not trying to take anything away from the horrible catastrophe in Haiti.
But Chile needs your help, too.
If you’re interested in giving a little monetary help to Chile, I thought I’d provide a few suggestions that I know are trustworthy.
For those who prefer to use the Internet:
For the texters among us:
- Text the word “CHILE” to 25383 to donate $10 through Habitat for Humanity
- Text the word “CHILE” to 20222 to donate $10 through World Vision
- Text the word “CHILE” to 52000 to donate $10 through the Salvation Army
And that’s it. That’s all I’ll say about it. I’m not saying you’re a bad person if you don’t give or anything like that. Maybe you gave a bunch of money to Haiti and just don’t have it to give right now. Maybe you don’t have a lot of cash in the first place. Maybe you just don’t feel moved to give to Chile since it’s a lot more urbanized than Haiti. Or maybe you don’t give to charities at all for whatever reason you may have. It’s cool. I get it. But there’s a part of me that believes that I CAN’T be the only one who’s frustrated that there hasn’t been a lot of support shown to Chile, and I thought I’d provide a resource for any of those who WANT to lend a hand, but just didn’t know where to look.
I hope you’re one of those people.