I’m blogging right now out of a sense of obligation to do it. I haven’t been very motivated to do it lately. Just a shortage of topics, I guess…or at least a shortage of topics I feel long-winded enough to write about. So here are some short ones…
- My best wishes to Japan and Chile over the earthquakes they’ve both recently experienced, and for which neither is likely to have a concert or charity developed for their benefit. (Funny how that works…)
- I’m taking St. Patrick’s Day off this year. My brother, as it happens, is off on the day too…so for once, there’s a chance that he, Dad, and I will all be at the parade at the same time. That hasn’t happened in a very long time.
- I hit a “writing slump” in my songwriting thanks to Blue Tattoo being on hiatus. But I’ve got a few lines and phrases sitting around now, most of which have been inspired by reading a bunch of Kurt Vonnegut novels. Thinking of doing a website-download thing of a bunch of songs revolving around his works…but that sounds like one of those good ideas I always have but never do anything with. Time will tell.
- Tax-time was not as good to me this year as it was last year.
- Speaking of things Obama’s responsible for… I’m a Democrat, and I am pleased with most of what my president has been doing…but he really needs to give up on healthcare. It’s not a reform AT ALL anymore and it’s just becoming a massive joke. Maybe he should get back to getting us out of Iraq and whatnot…that’s one of those things I really thought he was going to do…
- I’m all caught up on the BBC series “Torchwood” and I’m hopeful for Season 4 (assuming it actually airs…I hear it’s in shooting, but Jon Barrowman has had some weird press about the character of Captain Jack lately that makes me wonder if it’ll really happen). Enjoyed “Children of Earth” a lot, even though it was a major break with the show’s format…but I do hope the new season goes back to more of an episodic format.
- They’re re-making “Nightmare on Elm Street.” I’m not going to immediately bash it or praise it. I do like the guy who’s playing Freddy (he was also Rorschach in “Watchmen”). But, I’ve got to say the following… (1) Re-makes tend to not be very memorable (ie – the “Friday the 13th” and “Texas Chainsaw Massacre” remakes of a couple of years ago which no one seems to mention anymore). (2) I wish people would use their energy to make an awesome ORIGINAL movie once in a while. (3) I’ve seen the online previews, and I’ve got to say that they seem to be borrowing so much from the original franchise that my gut reaction is, “I’ve already seen this movie.” But, it might blow me away, and I like that they’re taking Freddy into a dark direction, rather than making him the comic-relief character that he’d become… Might be good. Might suck. Either way, though, I’m waiting for DVD.
- Super sorry to hear about Andrew Koenig’s suicide. (For those who don’t know, he’s the guy who played “Boner” on the 80s sitcom “Growing Pains” and is also the son of Walter “Chekov” Koenig of “Star Trek” fame.) I’m not going to say that I’m a huge fan of his. I don’t know that I’ve ever seen anything he’s done outside of “Growing Pains.” In fact, I’m a WAY bigger fan of his dad’s than of his… But, suicide’s such a desperate, sad, selfish thing that it’s always a shame to hear about. Plus, the guy managed to be loveable enough that 1980’s TV executives didn’t care that the word “Boner” was going out over the air every week for like ten years. That’s pretty cool.
- I’ve been shockingly “caught up” at work this week! Not sure how that happened…but the last couple of days, I’ve been having really productive days. Which probably means that Monday will suck…but whatever. For now, I’m on top of it and that’s good.
- Got a parking ticket on Friday. The street I work on has a totally ridiculous rule that you can’t park on the one side of it from noon to 3:30 on the last Friday of every month. So I didn’t. I parked on a DIFFERENT street, down past where the signs stop. Then I got a ticket. I was thinking of fighting it (because there genuinely was NOT a sign covering where I parked)…but then I realized that it’s only for $10 and it’s not worth it. Still…that’s a really stupid, stupid thing…and it’s only for STREET SWEEPING, which they only do to THAT side of the street and never to the other side! Stupid…whoever…
- Haven’t bought the new/last Johnny Cash record yet…but it’ll happen soon.
- I’m really hungry…but I want sausage and I don’t have any on hand. Dilemma.
- A friend of mine mentioned on Facebook that he’d built a St. Patrick’s Day float. Reminded me of an invention my brother and I made. It, too is called the “St. Patrick’s Day Float” and it’s basically just vanilla ice cream and Guinness. Don’t ever drink that…but that’s what it is…
That’s all I can think of for now. I’ve got post number 666 coming up soon. That’s an interesting number, huh? Maybe I’ll come up with something special for that post. 🙂