I had a lot planned last week, as you know if you’ve been reading along. I haven’t written since Thanksgiving (or Slapsgiving, for all you HIMYM fans out there…mainly Dave and Valerie, I’d imagine). That’s because I’ve been too tired to do it.
Here’s the list of stuff I got done from my list of stuff that I posted at the beginning of last week…
- Slept in on Friday.
- Finished unpacking all those acoustic panels and got them up on the wall. Completely covered the window at the back of the basement (likely the biggest offender in the “noise” problem that got the police called on us so often last year). It’s not perfect, but it’s up. Hoping maybe to upgrade the backing from cardboard to plywood within the next 6-months or so. The glue for the things had to be put on with a caulk-gun, and it was really thick and hard to work with, so my arms are still sore from it. And on a side note, 32-square feet of acoustic tile sounds a LOT bigger than it is!
- Cleaned up a bit…but not too much! 🙂
- Recorded bass, drums, and guitars on Mike Feldman’s new record. Just have to do vocals (Wednesday night), keys, and background vocals, then mix the thing. I’m working on it as we go, so it should be a pretty quick turn-around. I did all of the irritating “evening out” fixes last night, to make all of the tracks nice and consistent in their sound levels. Went pretty quickly, all things considered. Saturday was about a 10-hour recording day. Sunday was a 5-hour one. Hoping for 3 or less for vocals on Wednesday. Mike gave me some awesome deer sausage and a sweet Telecaster as a down-payment for my trouble. (Hoping to get the actual cash in time to soften the Christmas-crunch, ha ha.)
- I didn’t get that Boddingtons I was hoping to…but Mike did provide me with some adequate refreshments on Saturday and Sunday. So that worked, too.
- I was so wiped out from the physical and mental work of the previous few days that I slept right through my alarm and missed church. Oops. Kinda saw it coming…but oops.
On a sad note, I found out that one of the members of the Gluttons Club (link to the right) passed away this week. Mel was a good guy who was funny, kind, and always fun to talk to. His last name was/is (however that works) Blanc. He was Mel Blanc. (For those who don’t know, that was also the name of the guy who famously voiced Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, etc etc etc in the Warner Brothers world…no blood-relation, though.) When I met Mel (our Mel) for the first time, he introduced himself and I said, “I’m a big fan of your work.” Bad joke. Sure he’d heard it a few thousand times in his life up to that point…but he still smiled at it. That’s the kind of guy he was. When Mel Blanc (the celebrity) died, my dad, hosting the club’s Christmas event did about 5-10 minutes of material on how sad it was to have lost Mel (the Glutton)—and, converse to my remarks upon meeting Mel, what Dad said was actually funny. Mel laughed at that too. That’s the kind of guy he was. I think I’d be doing him a disservice if I said anything less than “Th-th-th-that’s all folks!” I bet he’d laugh at that. That’s the kind of guy he was.
Rest in peace, Mel. I’m sure next time Jonco revs his bike, it’ll be for you.
…now let’s get this year over with and have a few less deaths in 2010, ‘kay folks?