(Esoteric blog title, huh?)
I’ve noticed that everyone’s making a big deal out of the Simpsons right now. Until tonight I didn’t understand why exactly…I mean, yes, this is the 21st year of the show. That’s pretty impressive…but I wasn’t getting why the 21st year was being met with more fanfare than the 20th. Seemed weird to me… They’re all over the news. They’re in all the magazines… Marge Simpson’s even being depicted nude in the pages of Playboy Magazine. (Which is…weird…I mean, if someone wants to see that, couldn’t they just draw it? I’m genuinely puzzled by that one.) Don’t get me wrong, I love the Simpsons…but I was confused by the reaction they’re getting this year…until I actually READ one of the articles. (Might’ve been a good idea to start there, huh?)
This year, the Simpsons becomes the world’s longest running sitcom (edging out Ozzie and Harriet—good names for your twins, btw, Dave). Let me add some emphasis to that… The Simpsons is the WORLD’S longest running sitcom! More episodes than anyone. More years, too, I’d imagine (but I’m not quite sure how that works). That’s a lot of shows. Over 430. Wow.
Every now and again, I realize just how long that’s been. Here are a few things about the length of time the show’s been on that may not occur to you until you get to thinking about it.
- Were the show a person, it would now be legally old enough to drink. (Actually…I think that’s officially in December…so don’t jump the gun, Maggie!)
- When the show first came on, I was in the same grade as Bart.
- When the show came on, you still felt like TV was getting away with something by having a cartoon character casually use the word “hell.”
- [I’m making this one up.] In the years the show has been on, Fox has cancelled more shows than the Simpsons have had episodes. [That’s probably not true…but wouldn’t it be awesome if it were?]
- Most Freshmen in college were not alive when the first episode aired (save for your non-trad students). They have never known a world without the Simpsons.
- It is likely that anyone under the age of 25 has not seen every episode. Whereas I ***nerd-glasses-push-up*** have seen EVERY episode, in many cases multiple times! (I guess I’m technically qualified to declare “Worst. Episode. EVER!” on one of them, huh?)
- An episode called “Lisa’s Wedding” was a flash-forward to Lisa’s future and her would-be marriage to a British character (named Hugh). Lisa was depicted as being in college, aged 23. Background jokes included a Jim Carey film festival and a poster advertizing the Rolling Stones “Steel Wheelchairs” tour. The year all of this was supposed to take place? 2010.
- Conan O’Brien was working on the show BEFORE he got famous as a talk-show host.
- Some people say, “D’oh!” without knowing why.
Man…how many hours of potential productivity have we all spent watching this show?!?!? 🙂
That’s it…I know I’m behind the curve on that news…but when I read it tonight, I was actually a little proud to have been a part of every moment. That’s kind of cool in some ways. Kind of super-geeky in others. But I’m leaning toward cool. It’s kind of like the little-show that could…and I’m glad I was there for it.
Thanks for the memories, Simpsons. May you keep us laughing for 21 more years…when I’m in my 50s…just like Bart.