I’ve not had a lot to say that’s been worth a full post. I know, I know… “When has ANYTHING you’ve written been worth a full post, Derek?” My response: “Whatever…you read it anyway.” 🙂
Anyhoo…I’m going to just do a series of “random” posts. I figure that’s better than nothing.
- Did some more recording with Blue Tattoo. The other guys’ work is sounding really good. I haven’t done many of my own tracks on the new stuff yet. I’ll probably try to tackle some of that this weekend. But the other guys are really doing well. I’ve been particularly pleased with how well Johnny’s drumming has been flowing lately. This thing’s been seeming almost effortless lately, for me—which is really rewarding. (Dunno how the other guys feel about it, but that’s how I feel).
- I’ve been a little behind at work this week. I lost a couple of hours on Monday (long, dull story) and in what I do, that’s kinda tough. I THINK I might get caught up tomorrow…but it’s been tough this week to get back on pace. Fortunately, I like working there and the office mood has been high and light…which brings me to…
- On Wednesday the bosses bought us all lunch. That was pretty cool. We went to Pappy’s Smokehouse (again), which has VERY quickly become my favorite eatery in St. Louis. I had a pulled pork sandwich from there a couple of weeks ago that made me very literally moan! My office watched a man fall in love with a sandwich that day. Yesterday I had the beef brisket. Not quite as good, but still pretty awesome. Next time…ribs. Check out Pappy’s if you’re ever in the area. It’s SOOOOOO worth it!
- I missed the Over the Rhine show at Blueberry Hill tonight. Wanted to go, but it’s been an expensive month…had to cut back somewhere. Kinda regret it, but at least I don’t have buyer’s remorse.
- Speaking of buyer’s remorse… My Les Paul is AWESOME! It’s got a huge tone and I totally see why people have raved about them for like 50 years. (Someone asked, because the picture I posted before is kind of dark…so in case you couldn’t make it out, it’s wine red with gold hardware.) So now I have a Gretsch, a Strat, and a Paul…gonna have to cart all three to every gig, just for the sake of looking awesome. I also am going to have to take a picture of me with all three. Now…if I could just get that Telecaster… (It never ends…)
- Baseball has TWICE robbed me of Star Trek this week. As a nerd, I take exception to that.
- Just a reminder…Fisher Stevens played Ben in “Short Circuit” and “Short Circuit 2.” That’s right. They slapped a bunch of makeup on him and had him do a really offensive Indian accent…and there you go… Also, he did a Columbo in the 80s.
- I was brushing my teeth last night and I accidentally brushed too fast and went back too far and bruised the back of my mouth on the left side. That sucks. Now my jaw hurts a little. FYI — Good pain-relief for something like that…suck on a bag of Black Tea (I prefer Earl Gray, personally).
- My friend Larry’s going through some stuff right now. I shouldn’t talk about it…mostly because it’s none of my damn business…but if he reads this, just wanted to say I’m sorry things suck a little right now, and hang in there, Larry.
- Turns out that I love bagels. Especially Asiago Cheese bagels. I did not know that about myself until very recently.
- Been a lot of rain lately, which I like…but it’s been the dangerous kind, which I don’t like so much. Illinois has been hit harder than we have (as usual, for some reason)…but there’ve been a couple of intense storms in STL lately. Wish we could have the rain—even the HEAVY rain—but skip over the tornadoes.
That’s it for now…more soon.
- Every day I put three records into a playlist on my iPod and listen to them over and over again at work. That makes time move in weird ways. Like you’ll hear a song and think “I know where that is in the record…I haven’t been working that long…” …but BULLSHIT! You’ve been at work for six hours, the CD just looped around again. That’s a good distraction when you’ve got a lot of work to do. Today it was The Who’s “Quadrophenia,” Ray Davies’ “Working Man’s Cafe,” and Hank Williams III’s “Lovesick, Broke, and Driftin.'” Tomorrow, I’m thinking a full-on country mix.