I’ve been sick for a couple of days. Well…since yesterday, anyway, and it’s bleeding over into today. I woke up around 6 a.m. on Tuesday and felt like someone was stabbing me in the stomach. It hurt so much I thought I might have to go to the emergency room…but I didn’t. The pain stopped, but my stomach’s still really uneasy. I went in to work today (and I’m taking a SHORT break to write this), but the drive in made me queasy. Plus, we’re right above the Cafeteria and the food-smells are making me sick. (We have an excellent Cafeteria. Please don’t misread what I’m saying there. It could be the finest cooking the world has to offer, but it’d still make me queasy today.) I’m probably going to leave early if this keeps up. I did eat a little last night, though. I had a sandwich and a tangerine. Both seemed mild and safe. Didn’t seem to make me any sicker, so I guess that’s good.
It seems like I’m always either sick or exhausted, doesn’t it? I even normally LIKE Wednesdays (unlike most of the office-world). Today’s really dragging, though. I’ve been here a little less than two-hours and it feels like it’s been six. I can’t focus long enough to accomplish anything — which is part of why I’m blogging right now, since that doesn’t require any focus other than the train of thought I have at the time. I’m just already ready for today to be over.
Fortunately, though, the students who’ve been in here today have been really nice, and one or two of them even made me smile — a tough effort on a day like today. So, y’know…there’s that. Occasionally the perks of working here catch up with me and make even a miserable day kind of good.
Anyway…the five-minute break I gave myself is up, so I’m going to stop writing. Back to the grind. Just needed to go somewhere and whine, and I prefer to do that in print for some reason. 🙂
(The title of this post is a reference to the movie “Meatballs” by the way.)
This is Penn Jillette of comedy/magic duo Penn and Teller fame. A number of you have probably seen it…but maybe someone hasn’t. He’s talking about meeting someone who apparently made an impact on him. It’s kind of an important reminder and a really interesting watch. Check it out. It’s only like 5 minutes.
If you think of it, you might say a small prayer for Penn…and not just the shallow “please change his heart blahblahblah” thing (though that’s absolutely wonderful). You might also pray for his physical well-being, his ability to keep doing what he does, and for his continued happiness and/or success. The felt-needs sometimes outweigh the theological ones, and we should want him to be happy as well as saved. (Plus, I tend to think that entertainers are doing God’s work, even if they don’t believe in him. As such, I’d like to see him keep going.)
You might also try saying a prayer (and/or giving a crap) about the people in your life that you’ve never even spoken the name of Christ to, much less proselytized. Just food for thought. We can all pray for Penn Jillette…but how about our neighbors, too?
…huh…I actually wrote a Christian blog post. Whodathunkit?
I also blogged twice in one day…but I’ve done that before. 🙂
I spoke to someone recently who knows how hard I campaigned for President Obama during the election. He asked me why he hadn’t heard me saying anything about him since. Of course, he meant this in the ultra-Conservative, “He’s not so great after all,” accusatory way. But that’s not it. My answer to him is the same as it is to you… When he does something I don’t agree with, you’ll hear about it. When he signs legislation that I think is unfair to small businesses… When he mistreats the poor… When he lives in the pocket of big oil… When he compromises the Constitution in the name of “patriotism…” When he…oh wait… That was the last guy. My bad. I keep forgetting.
So far, President Obama’s doing pretty well, I think. I like his economic stimulus package. I’ve read at least the bulk of his proposal (though I’m sure I’m a little behind on the revisions). I like the fact that he came out against big-business, saying that if they want a “bailout,” then they could have it, but they were also getting a salary cap. (I’ve heard loudmouth idiots — like myself, but for the other side — say that he doesn’t care that he’s hurting big business. I don’t care either. If a salary cap of $500 million is “hurting” you, I have absolutely no sympathy.) I like what he’s mapped out so far for Amer-Iraq-a. I like that he’s closing Gitmo. I like what he’s done so far, and I like his road map. I also like that he’s pretty much disclosing everything at barackobama.com.
I’m not disappointed with my vote. I don’t think he’s done anything bad yet. I didn’t expect change overnight and I’m not shocked that he hasn’t been able to magically pull the remnant of the USA out of the ditch where Bush tied it up, gagged it, and left it bleeding yet. He’s been in for like a month. Give it time.
…but it was pretty funny when he tried to enter the White House through that window.
- Come on! Why won’t you stop buzzing, pedal-board??? You weren’t sounding like this LAST week. Now I add one thing and you’re buzzing and humming. Then I take that thing out, and you’re STILL DOING IT!!! Don’t make me set you on fire! I hate doing that! It burns my hands and gets smoke in my eyes! ARRRRRGH!!!
I’ve once again redesigned DerekBrink.com. I didn’t have a lot to do this weekend, so I worked on that. What’s there now represents a few hours worth of work, but it’s not done yet. I miss the drawings I had in the margins of the last version, so I’m going to re-format those and get them back on there. I also don’t have the downloads or photo gallery up yet…but for once I’ve been thinking ahead, and I’ve got all that stuff READY…it’s just not up there yet. Mostly, I was just looking to have something a little sleeker, easily update-able, and easier to read. I think I’ve got that now.
Also, I’ve continued to write it in the third person, to make it look like I have “people.” 🙂
So click on over. Hope you dig it.
Also, this coincides with me sending the new record out for replication tomorrow (assuming my check is actually showing up as deposited tomorrow…if not…Tuesday). So expect to see massive amounts of pimping on behalf of that, too. 🙂
Update: Added some sketches and whatnot. 🙂
- A bunch of Frank Black…
- Some new Blue Tattoo demos (mixing)…
One of my favorite bands (next to The Who) is the Drive-By Truckers. They’re coming to town on the 26th, and I’ll be there, like always.
They recently recorded a record with the legendary Spooner Oldham. Spooner has almost certainly played on something you’ve heard (Percy Sledge’s “When a Man Loves a Woman” and Wilson Pickett’s “Mustang Sally” being amongst his most frequently heard work). He’s been with everybody from Bob Dylan to Aretha Franklin to CSNY to Frank Black to Jewel… The list goes on and on. He was in many ways a musical civil-rights leader; a white man playing on black records in the days of racial segregation, all around Alabama and Georgia, practically close enough to spit in George Wallace’s face.
Spooner is finally getting his due. He’s being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Now, I think the HoF is pretty stupid and is kind of the “We Were in Rolling Stone’s Main Article” club (Rolling Stone pretty much determines who gets in…Google it). But, it’s cool to see Spooner getting in…someone who actually DESERVES the applause.
Not that it means much coming from me…and not that he’ll ever see it…but congratulations, Spooner, and thank you for all the wonderful work you’ve done. Keep the hits coming.
DBT put up a graphic about it on their website, and I’m posting it below, with a link to their site. Check it out, and listen to Spooner playing with the Boys (and Girl) From Alabama on “Brighter than Creation’s Dark” as soon as you can.
Also, I just read that WordPress is going to be doing some updates which will log me out of my account for a few seconds in about 14 hours. Here’s hoping they don’t accidentally delete me. 🙂
This is one of those list-things you’re supposed to do on Facebook. I didn’t feel like “tagging” a bunch of people and irritating them with it…so I’m posting it on my blog, and irritating YOU instead!
The instructions are copied and pasted from Facebook as well…but for the record, I found this really easy.
USING ONLY ONE WORD! Copy and change the answers to suit you and pass it on. It’s really hard to only use one word answers!
- Where is your cell phone? Pocket
- Your significant other? Belligerent
- Your hair? Unkempt
- Your mother? Dead
- Your father? Living
- Your favorite? What? (As in “favorite what?” I hate when they’re unspecific like that.)
- Your dream last night? None
- Your favorite drink? Guinness/Coffee (Depends on what they mean by “drink.”)
- Your dream/goal? Changes
- What room you are in? Private
- Your hobby? Reading
- Your fear? Spiders
- Where do you want to be in 6 years? Living
- Where were you last night? Sleeping
- Something that you aren’t? Biochemist
- Muffins? Sure.
- Wish list item? $750
- Where you grew up? Florissant
- Last thing you did? Phone
- What are you wearing? Socks
- Your TV? Off
- Your pets? Dead
- Friends? Belligerent
- Your life? Ongoing
- Your mood? Belligerent
- Missing someone? Nah
- Car? Scion
- Something you’re not wearing? Fedora
- Your favorite store? Kohls
- Your favorite color? Earthtones (If that’s one word…)
- When is the last time you laughed? Today
- Last time you cried? Unsure
- One place that I go to over and over? Work
I feel a little obligated to update the blog, but I don’t have much to say…so here’s another random post.
- I’m getting like $600 back on my taxes this year. Somehow I find that suspicious.
- For those who’ve been wondering, my knee’s feeling better than it was last week, but I’m still a little wobbly.
- Lost was pretty good last night, but I’m still not sold on the “time-travel” thing. Nevertheless, they gave out some good stuff in that episode.
- If you spend less than $10 on something but you’re not happy with the purchase — even if it came out of the BOX broken — you don’t get to return it.
- My sleeping has been weirder than usual, mostly just in the fact that I’ve been waking up and not remembering having slept. Probably means I’ve been going to bed exhausted…or that I’m getting sick. But I don’t feel like I’m getting sick, so I must just be exhausted a lot. I could see that…been a big week.
- My old boss is going to be on campus tomorrow…that really makes me want to clean my office, for some reason. I’m not going to…but I WANT to…so the gesture is there, I guess. 🙂
- I’m thinking of buying just one or two little things to make my guitar-rig setup a little quicker and more idiot-proof. Should only be about $100…but there’s a part of me that knows that as soon as I do that, I’ll buy something else and have to redo the whole thing again. Maybe I’ll wait until Blue Tattoo has another gig on the calendar.
- Re: Blue Tattoo… My brother sent me a lyric I really like last night. It’s called “Livin’ Where the Sun Don’t Shine.” Funny title…but the lyric’s actually kind of poignant. I’ve got about six new things to demo. Hopefully I’ll do that this weekend.
- Also re: BT… We slapped together an older song (from mine and Dave’s early pile of demos for the band) called “Forever.” It came together really quickly and features some freaking amazing slide-guitar work from my-favorite-guitar-player, Chris.
- I think I might have a gig on Saturday (Valentine’s Day). I say THINK, because the guy booking it has STILL not gotten in touch with Mike (Feldman) to give him a certain answer. If we don’t hear by today, I’m actually going to assume we’re NOT playing and the guy’s just trying to not come out and say that. I’m actually not sure I want to do it anyway since (1) I hate Valentine’s Day and (2) the lack of contact has already left a bad taste in my mouth about the gig.
- Somehow, I seem to have misplaced some pants. I’m down to like two pair of khakis from at least four. Weird.
- I’ve been getting fast food like every night this week. I need to stop that. Although things like St. Louis Bread Co — aka Panera — aren’t really that bad for you and that’s been twice this week…but if nothing else, I should try to save money.
- Sometimes, I go through peoples Facebook photos for absolutely no reason. Occasionally I find things I’d like to comment on, but I’m afraid it might seems creepy-stalker-ish for some reason. Also, girls post more pictures than guys.
- We get paid tomorrow and the new record goes out for replication no later than Monday morning.
- I think that if Jesus hadn’t come as a human, he’d have probably been a lemon or an orange…something with Vitamin C.
- My iPod’s been on shuffle for about three days. I’ve been hearing some WEIRD stuff. Like all of that Beatles stuff I downloaded a couple of months ago…there are some things that the Purple Chick people just shouldn’t have bothered with.
- I’m buying a bunch of comic books from my friend Matt. I haven’t collected single-issues in YEARS, and I’m afraid this is going to start me down that path. So…right on…
- I’ve got a couple of coupons for Barnes and Noble…so I think I’m going to buy the remaining few CDs I don’t own from the Springsteen collection and/or that Kinks box-set.
- I could really go for a Hot Link right about now…
That’s all, if not too much. 🙂
Have a great not-quite-the-weekend.