I’ve had a headache all day. Right on top of my head, and a bit into my neck. Hasn’t been too bad, but it’s bad enough to make my blog…which, now that I think of it, doesn’t mean anything at all, does it?
Anyway…here are a few tips on what to do if you’ve got a headache. I wouldn’t recommend all of them at once. Some of them would probably conflict with one another. You’ve got to know your headache and know which tip works for which headache… Anyway…let’s go…
- Hot Shower – And particularly, wash your hair. It’s amazing how washing shampoo and conditioner out can just soothe and relax your entire body, head included. This can work wonders.
- Hot towel to the eyes – Very particularly if you have sinus headaches, and/or headaches related to dry eyes. The heat from the water on the towel produces tears and whatever makes that happens also tends to relax the sinuses (which is why so many people snot-out when they cry…so watch out for that). It’s worth noting that you shouldn’t make the towel so hot that it burns your eyes or face…but I would hope none of you are that stupid.
- Ibuprofen – Not Tylenol. Ibuprofen is one of the best drugs out there for relaxing your muscles…and that’s what a headache is, the muscles in your head contracting. Sometimes though, pills don’t do much for a headache. Don’t let that alarm you.
- Sleep – A really good cure-all for whatever’s wrong with you. The body needs time to regenerate. That’s actually probably why I get headaches fairly often…I don’t sleep well.
- Visine – Sometimes, it’s just your eyes. Sometimes they’re dry and it makes your entire head hurt. As odd as it seems, this is EASY to overlook. I’ve had headaches whereupon putting Visine in my eyes had provided INSTANT relief. And don’t be afraid. Dripping it into your eyes is a little horrifying at first, but once you’ve done it, it’s SOOOOOO worth it that you’ll never be afraid of it again.
- Have someone rub your neck – It’s amazing how many headaches originate in the neck. Trust me on this one.
- Ice pack – Sometimes heat doesn’t work, and you just need to put some cold on the part of your head that hurts. I find this especially feels great on my “hair-aches,” which is what I call headaches that are worst along my hairline. (These usually occur if I’ve not showered that day and my hair’s a mess, or if I’ve worn a hat for too long.)
- Don’t eat starches or grains – I don’t know why…it just seems to make them worse for me. Might just be me, though.
- Coffee – Regular…black. Caffeine causes blood to flow faster and that helps on stuff like headaches — especially when you’re taking Ibuprofen. Just helps the medicine move right into your brain…or something…
- Wear a hat – Contrary to the “hair-ache” thing above… Sometimes when I have a headache along my forehead, it helps me to ignore it if I just put a hat on. The pressure from the hat makes me think it isn’t a headache and it’s just the hat on my head. Especially good for those ones where my temples are throbbing. Sometimes restricting the muscles is the way to go.
Those are just a few that work for me sometimes. Hope it helps. I know how many of you come here for health advice. (For God’s sake, don’t do that.)
- Weird mix CD. Got some Frank Black, Neil Young, Springsteen, Ray Davies, Aimee Mann…mostly singer/songwriters. But there’s some Old 97s on there, too. Etc…