For those who’ve always wondered…here’s what an average work-day in my life looks like… Enjoy!
Between the hours of 6:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
- Wake up, usually shout the f-word…sometimes other words.
- Consider calling in sick.
- Upon assessment of remaining sick-days, consider resignation.
- Upon consideration of rent and student loan, get out of bed, grab clothes at random, and head for the shower.
- Shower. Wash most things. Some things twice. (Occasionally preceded by shaving.)
- Try to make it out of the front door in time to be “on time” for work…depending on who you talk to, there’s about a 15-minute variance on what constitutes “on time.”
- Open the Library–mostly that consists of changing stamps to the correct day, counting the previous business day’s incoming money, and turning on some computers. There’s some other stuff I do in the early part of the day, but it’s not really “opening” stuff. Just early stuff…some of which doesn’t even seem necessary…but whatever.
- Get coffee from the Cafeteria…except on Mondays when they don’t have any. Seriously–what the hell?
- Try to avoid being spoken to before 10:00.
- Failing the previous, try to think of an excuse to lock self in back of office.
- Failing the previous, try to think of a reason to go home early.
- Failing the previous, reconsider resignation.
Between the hours of 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Return semi-refreshed, ready to deal with people.
- Get a decent amount of work done in about an hour.
- Start to think I’m actually not too bad at my job.
- Go home…unless it’s Wednesday…then I get excited about going home, only to realize I have to work another two hours, until 6:00, because it’s my boss’s day off.
- In event of the latter, reconsider resignation.
Between the hours of 4:00 (or 6:00) and 10:00
- Try to take a nap.
- Eat something.
- Variable dependant upon the evening…sometimes a band practice, sometimes an event of some sort…sometimes just a GOOD nap…sometimes I watch wrestling.
Between the hours of 10:00 p.m. and like 2 a.m.
- Watch TV.
- Download whatever catches my fancy on the internet.
- Real work begins around midnight or so, and I’ll work on stuff like music, lyrics, and just writing whatever comes into my head. I do a lot of blog-writing during those hours.
Between the hours of 2 a.m. and 6:30
- Depends on how the insomnia is going…sometimes I’m sleeping. Other times, I’m making ridiculous purchases on the internet and cursing about how stupid it is that I can’t get to sleep.