Today is December 20, 2007 (though my blog seems to think it’s the 19th, I assure you, this is the 20th). One year ago today my Grandma Brink died. So, I’m going to share a few weird observations about my Grandma that are how I particularly like to remember her.
- She put butter on everything. Toast…ham sandwiches…braunschweiger (which I STILL don’t know how to spell)… And it was REAL butter, not any of this Oleo crap…
- She struck up conversations with complete strangers. In fact, when my dad was a kid, he actually thought she knew EVERYONE. He took her to a Walgreens once (I’m not sure they have those everywhere…it’s basically a big convenience store that has a hold on the Midwest) and somehow or other they ended up in different parts of the store. He found her and she was having what looked like a conversation with an old friend. They were chatting and laughing about something or other. If memory serves, she even introduced Dad to her and used the lady’s first name when doing so. When they were leaving Dad asked who she was talking to and how she knew her. Grandma’s reply was something to the effect of, “Oh, I don’t know. She was just standing there when I walked up.” So, yeah…that’s pretty much who she was…
- She always burned the bottoms of the rolls any time she made big dinners for the family.
- She once loaned me $15 to get gas when I didn’t have any money or a job. She told me not to tell Dad. Dad reads my blog, but since she’s dead now, I guess he can’t get too mad at her. She could haunt him.
- She liked the Beatles.
- She also liked that LeAnn Rhimes girl (or however you spell that).
- Didn’t seem to care for the Misfits or Cannibal Corpse…
- She’d always show up at my elementary school to give me a ride home if it was raining–and I lived less than the distance of a football-field away from where I went to elementary school.
- …she seemed to like my Grandpa alright…
- I’m out of stuff.
Anyway…there you go.
In other news, it’s almost Christmas. I’m trying to find one more thing for my sister-in-law, but I don’t think it exists in the material realm. I’m also trying to figure out if what I bought my Grandma Herweck is good enough…I’m thinking I should get another thing for her, too, but I don’t really have any ideas.
Today is the last day at work before we shut down for the Christmas break. We’ll be closed from tomorrow until the 2nd of January. Should be nice.
…and that’s what’s going on today…I’m going to stop typing now…
- Centro-Matic – “Fort Recovery”
- Aimee Mann – “One More Drifter in the Snow” (which is the only Christmas record I own)
- Frank Black – “Christmass” (which, oddly enough, contains NO Christmas music)